Need help with creating drill.

General questions about the use of the Pyware 3D software.

Moderator:PywareTechSupport

LeydaMusic
Need help with creating drill.

Post by LeydaMusic » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:50 pm

Okay so I am using Pyware 3D and just can't seem to figure out how to keep marchers from doing impossible moves. I have tried using the knife tool to cut the performers from their groups (all individual) and yet the programs still keeps them in line causing them to do impossible moves.

Like for example. Lets say i have 5 trumpets and 5 flutes. I have "T" for trumpet and "F" for flute on the symbols. If i have them back to back in lines (trumpets behind flutes) and they are in windows. From there i would want the trumpets to merge with the flutes lines but if i try to use the line tool it will cause the trumpets to go all the way to the left and have the flutes to the right so you see "TTTTTFFFFF" instead of "TFTFTFTFTF"

This is keeping me from making some good drill and incorporating some good moves. I am new to the software and don't know much. Thanks for the help in advanced!

P.S. I've even tried using a drill set with all trumpets yet the program persists on keeping each person near that same person.

mark
Site Admin

Re: Need help with creating drill.

Post by mark » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:49 am

Hi LeydaMusic,

To begin, I would recommend familiarizing yourself with a few of the basic concepts of how 3D functions. What you described below is detailed in the tutorial of the program. If you can spare the time, I would recommend reading the first two sections of the User Guide (Basic Concepts and the Tutorial) at http://pyware.com/guide/3d/.

For your particular example, the lines need to be regrouped to get the effect you're looking for.

Option 1 (Regroup via the Knife/Glue tool):

-This option is best if you know prior to creating the transition that you wish to mesh into the new form
-With your anchors spread for the transition, select the performers that will be in the new form
-Open the Knife/Glue tool
-Regroup in the order you desire
Note: In your particular example, you could group both lines together by clicking on the editing handle of one line, then clicking the editing handle of the other line, then selecting the "Apply Pattern (AB)" in the Knife/Glue tool control panel. This would prep the two lines for a mesh in the TFTFTF pattern you're wanting.
-If the "Accept each change..." check box is checked, you're done in the Knife/Glue tool. You can close out of the tool, or just select another tool because the changes commit automatically. If that check box is not checked, you would need to press accept in the Knife/Glue tool control panel to commit the change.

Option 2 (Matching in the Drawing tool):

-This is an alternative to option 1. Some might prefer this method, while others prefer option 1. I would say experiment both ways, and see which suits you best.
-With your anchors spread for the transition, select the performers that will be in the new form.
-Draw the new form. If the selected performers are going to positions that you don't prefer, click "Clear" in the Matching Lines portion of the drawing tool's control panel. This removes every performer's transition and allows you to assign exactly who goes where.
-The previous (selected) form will have empty circles on top of their symbols. The newly drawn form will be dots, and one performer will have a bold red dot on them. This is the performer you'll be assigning the transition for.
-Now it's time for a game of connect the dots. You'll notice that if you click on any empty circle in the previous form, the circle will fill (with green), a matching line will connect the circle you clicked on to the performer that had the bold red circle on them (now green as well), and the red circle moved to the next performer in the new form. This means that performer now has a position to move to in the new form. Repeat this process for all selected performers.
Note: You don't have to match in the order the red circle determines. The red matching circle can be moved with your arrow keys. Just be sure to match everyone before pressing accept.

Option 3 (Matching via Copy/Paste):

-This option is really only used if you have already committed the new shape, but did not reassign who goes where prior to committing the shape, and wish to change the order.
-Select the form you wish you edit.
-Go to the Edit menu, and choose Copy, then Edit again and Paste Performers. The Paste Control Panel will appear.
-Choose to "Paste with different matching order".
-The form is pasted on top of itself, so you'll most likely want to move the form down a step or two so you can easily see who we're matching to what new position.
-Much like option 2, we'll want to reset the matching lines, so click Clear in the Matching Lines portion of the control panel.
-You can then repeat the same matching process as detailed above in option 2 (connecting the dots).

Without seeing which steps you're taking, it's a little difficult to guess and try to diagnose exactly where the wrong turn occurs. The options above should steer you in the right direction. If you're needing further assistance, please don't hesitate to give us a call.

Thanks for your support!
Mark Mullins
Marketing Director
http://www.pyware.com
http://www.facebook.com/pygraphics