Audio Sync only works from the beginning

Report problems you have been having while using the 3D Java program.

Moderator:PywareTechSupport

njs000
Audio Sync only works from the beginning

Post by njs000 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:19 am

The past 2 days I have had a problem with the audio sync. I sync the file just as I've done for years, but it only plays with the correct sync when I play it from count 0 of the drill. If I try to start playback from a later point in the drill, it either plays the wrong part of the audio, or it just blows through the phrase in 1 second without playing any music. If I immediately play it from the beginning after this error occurs, it plays the whole song with the correct sync and no problems.

I'm running a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro with OS X 10.6.2. I'm running Pyware Basic 5.0.8.
Nick Smith

George

Re: Audio Sync only works from the beginning

Post by George » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:18 pm

I too have had this issue. Many times, in fact, but I have no knowledge of what the conditions are/were when those instances happened since I don't really encounter that any more.

----
On a side note - and not meant to answer your post... just info I wanted to pass along:

I think it has something to do with the bitrate of the audio file, or perhaps audio codec (or a combination). I'm not saying that as if I know how to resolve the issue... I just mention it because whenever this happened to me, I would throw the audio file into audacity and export it as a default settings mp3 and it would work fine after that.

Ever since that initial problem happened and I fixed it on my own, I just take ALL of my mp3s used for drill and run them through a quick import/export through Audacity and I have had no problems since. I don't use what Pyware says is the ideal 192kbps, but rather the default, average quality that Audacity exports - which, as I said, has worked fine every time since I was having the same issues you are.

Again, I wouldn't recommend that as a resolution to the problem... that's just what I did and I did it because I have no time or patience to research what "kbps" does or variable vs constant bitrate or even why 192 is better than 128 for drill. I just experimented with exporting the mp3 out of Audacity at the default settings and it has worked 100% of the time. I don't use any file types other than .mp3, even though I believe you can also use .wav files.

I hope this is something you/we can get to the bottom of and get resolved. I think it all comes down to what the audio file type is, what codec it is in, what system you're on, what version of whatever codec you have installed... I guess?? :) I think there are just too many versions of audio files and codecs and kbps junk out there that it makes the whole process of getting an mp3 from a client and using it for drill so much more complicated, especially when this happens. :\
George
Pyware v10

georgehesterdesign.com

Pyware
Site Admin

Post by Pyware » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:46 am

Nick

If you would like to email me the file I would be happy to test it and see what the issue is. My email address is Dustin@pyware.com

Dustin Merrell

njs000

Post by njs000 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:27 pm

Hey, I just changed the bitrate and re-synced. It worked. Thanks for the help & quick responses!!
Nick Smith

trimpe

Post by trimpe » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:58 pm

If the file is encoded with a variable bit rate, it will only work from the start as you describe. I used to make all of my demo mp3s in VBR to get higher quality with lower file size, but when I started to have issues with PyWare, I stopped. Now it's CBR from now on.