Using Dual Monitors with Pyware v5

This forum is to discuss Tips and Tricks you have learned while using the 3D Java program

Moderator:PywareTechSupport

George
Using Dual Monitors with Pyware v5

Post by George » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:43 am

I haven't really started many topics on here but this is one that I feel is worth sharing.

There was always a dream I had (back in the day) of having a dual monitor set-up. I had seen some videos online or images people posted and just thought about how cool that would be to have. It wasn't the most important thing, by any means, but I could always dream, right?

A couple years ago I found a decent 24" monitor from Costco and it was a better investment than I could have imagined. For those of us in the music and drill design business, having simply a larger monitor to use when we work is SUCH a huge advantage when the alternative is either dealing with a small 13" laptop screen or even the smaller computer monitors that are usually supplied at your schools. Some people even hook up their TV to the computer or laptop to use as a larger external or extra monitor.

As for me, I did a little research and found that a higher resolution monitor was more beneficial than just hooking up to your lower res TV. Not that it has to be a 1080p set up... (oh gosh, I can't even imagine... haha). But that's why I went with the 24" that I use today with 1920x1200 dpi - and I have since upgraded to a Dell.

Let me go ahead and say this to everyone who reads this. I know that monitors are *expensive and you probably won't all find this to be as appealing or as beneficial as I do, but this whole dual monitor set-up for me is now a dream come true, in combination with the newly released v5.

* I wouldn't recommend spending top dollar for a monitor if you're just doing it for drill design. There are a ton of decent 23"-24" monitors out there in the $250-$280 range and I think if you're willing to give it a try, check out the Dell monitors and you might find something that works for you. :)

So, I'd like to just take a moment and explain how and why having this kind of a setup has made my current summer of writing SO much more efficient with the combo of Pyware v5 and dual monitors.

I use the larger monitor (24” Dell) as the primary and my laptop (15" macbook pro) as the secondary, which sits off to the right of my Dell. All of this is connected with a mini display port adapter to DVI, which is the best I can get with this particular monitor. Some have HDMI now, but I have no particular desire to upgrade to that anytime soon.

I mentioned earlier about having a monitor with a high resolution. This is key to why this works so well for me and I’m thankful I can use my Dell at the highest res possible. My macbook maxes out at 1440x900, which is still great... but the 1920x1200 on the Dell makes everything fit and look clean and clear. :)

Starting with the way I place everything on the monitors - this is only possible with v5:

Primary (Dell) monitor:
- Main window
- Production sheet
- Modified (to largest size setting) tool bar
- Positions/Label Editor window

Secondary (Macbook) screen:
- Full-screen perspective window

Quite simply, this makes everything much easier to see as I work. It cleans up all of the clutter of having windows on the field grid and having the ability to move the perspective window OFF the main window all together and onto the laptop monitor helps a ton.

And I was a total dork and I did in fact measure the main window and it is in fact the equivalent of having a full-screen 19” monitor (diagonally). For me, that’s plenty large enough to see everything. I found that going full screen 24” is almost TOO big. :)

Well, that’s my set up. My tip of the day would be to consider saving up for larger (hi-res) external monitor - if you usually work on a laptop - and going with the dual monitor setup. I can almost guarantee that it’ll make life using v5 SO much easier and more efficient.
George
Pyware v10

georgehesterdesign.com

alfred123

Re: Using Dual Monitors with Pyware v5

Post by alfred123 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:57 am

How do I connect multiple monitors to a computer?
My desktop computer currently only has one built-in connection for a monitor, but I'd like to hook up two monitors to this one computer.

custom logo design

Pyware
Site Admin

Post by Pyware » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:40 am

The ability to add multiple monitors is typically dependant on your computers graphics card.

The best option would be to install a new graphics card that can support multiple monitors.

If you wanted to use the current graphics card with multiple monitors I would suggest one of the following.

2 monitors connected - http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/dh2go/
3 monitors connected - http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Pattinson

Post by Pattinson » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:43 am

alfred123 wrote:How do I connect multiple monitors to a computer?
My desktop computer currently only has one built-in connection for a monitor, but I'd like to hook up two monitors to this one computer.
You need a second video card, or perhaps your existing one supports two through a single connector.

Check the model number of your existing video card and look up information about it on the Internet. Some of them support two monitors through the use of a splitter cable, usually through a DVI connector. I'm using one right now that works that way.

If it doesn't, you can add a second video card, and there are many to choose from. There are numerous sites on the Internet that review and compare cards. Just make sure you get one with the same kind of connectors your monitor(s) use.
GED ONLINE