Easy Drill Rewrite

This forum is to discuss Tips and Tricks you have learned while using the 3D Java program

Moderator:PywareTechSupport

cnoto
Easy Drill Rewrite

Post by cnoto » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:26 pm

I recently upgraded to 3D Java (5.0.7) from 3D 3.1.1 (~2001) for my Intel Mac 10.5.8, and I have a question about rewrites. I remember in 3.1.1 the rewrite option seemed rather laborious. I'm writing for a H.S. entering their 2nd year for marching band. Last year, we had students entering throughout the year. I agree with the director that we shouldn't turn away 15 new students, when the band only started with 40 or so. We still ourselves facing this issue being that it is only their 2nd year. So, on with the question...

Pending having to do rewrites in the next week or two (if not over the next month or two), and only using Java 3D for the past month, does anyone have any tips, tricks, or advice as to easily rewriting in regards to adding members? I'm not too concerned with the more amoebic and abstract forms presently in the drill. My main concern comes when changing into geometric forms. It seems that moving from abstract to geometric and back would be one of the more pressing issues of rewrites, as well as being time-consuming. I know I have the options to leave a hole or to equalize the intervals, but my question has 90% to do with adding members post-write and post-taught.

Thanks in advance no matter how many steps are involved.

bannedguy

Re: Easy Drill Rewrite

Post by bannedguy » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:18 pm

cnote: I don't have your answer but I do have a similar question.

1. when I inserted a tuba it made some radical section changes throughout the drill.

2. Like you I'm writing for a small and growing band. The drill was written with 1 euphonium. They now have 3. I can't add the other 2 because the original is not adjacent to the same players throughout the drill.

Have you experienced this? or Have you received any other answers?

thanks

Pyware
Site Admin

Re: Easy Drill Rewrite

Post by Pyware » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:47 pm

To cnoto and Bannedguy

If you are in a situation that you are unable to add a performer using the Drill rewrite tool do to the fact you do not have 2 adjacent performers in that section. The best option would be to add the performer(s) using the Point scatter tool on the first set, then you would need to modify the new position(s) on each

Then you have 2 different options, either merge the position(s) into an exhisting form or push the new position(s) into the correct position. You might need to imploy both methods depending on the drill you are modifying.

Merge:
The best way to merge the position(s) into would be to select the form that is to be merged with and also select the new Position(s). Then click the knife tool and cut the existing form where you would like to insert the new Position(s). Then click glue and glue the new position(s) into the existing form. Then select the morph tool and shift click on the handles located on top of the new position(s). This will pull the new position(s) into the existing form and will equilize the interval.

Push:
If you are wanting to add the position(s) to the end of forms or in a geometric figure the best way would be to use the adjuster tool. Do not select any positions, then click the adjuster tool. You will then be able to click and drag the new position(s) into the location you would like.

As for teaching the modified changes I do not have any suggestions.

-Dustin
Pyware Customer Support