Rematching Players in the Middle of a Drill

This forum is to discuss Tips and Tricks you have learned while using the 3D Java program

Moderator:PywareTechSupport

bjindrich
Rematching Players in the Middle of a Drill

Post by bjindrich » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:51 pm

Hi All,
I haven't converted to Pyware yet. Still using DrillQuest (since its inception over 20 years ago). Each year I try the Pyware demo to see if I think I can easily work with it, and each year I go back to DrillQuest. I think the biggest hangup that I have, even with the Pyware 5.x version is rematching players.

I typically draft a drill and then go back and finalize everything. The cleanup process includes prettying up forms (lines are straight, curves are smooth), making sure that step sizes are reasonable for everyone, checking that intervals are equalized, etc. As part of the cleanup process, I also may rematch players on some pages.

As best as I can tell, there is no easy way in Pyware to rematch players moving from page N to page N+1. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Here's what I'd like to do:
1) Rematch select players on page N to go to different positions on Page N+1
2) Have all player identification/labeling (colors, symbols, labels, etc.) be updated throughout the entire drill so that the animated drill correctly matches the flow & coordinate of each player.

In DrillQuest, you can rematch any player to any player on a subsequent page. Then, you can run an Update Symbols function that propagates symbols & labels across all pages. Without this function, I can't see an easy way to clean up & finalize a drill (assuming I'll want to do some rematching along the way).

Any Pyware pros out there have any suggestions? How do you go back to a drafted drill & rematch players in the middle of a drill? (or am I the only on that goes back & rematches players?)

Thanks in advance!

-Bill Jindrich

Phantom Demon

Re: Rematching Players in the Middle of a Drill

Post by Phantom Demon » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:17 am

Not sure it this is what you need but...
The easiest way to reset assignments in a new drill is to "clear" the matching lines and click on the individuals in the order that you want them to be.

Sometimes it is easier to "copy" the new formation (with the wrong matching). Then "delete" the move, repaste it and click on the desired matching.

kjbennett6

Post by kjbennett6 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:00 pm

Bumping this. This would be a great feature.

I know you can swap 2 positions, but then if you watch the 3D video, you see an awkward sprint between 2 members. Then you are also left doubting whether everything is correct or not. Definitely would be helpful to then just fix everything that comes after it, or even have an option for just this drill page.

There have been many times I've said "Accepted" to a drill formation, and liked it, but later want to have a different order of people, but this involves swapping multiple people over and over again.

Thanks!

bjindrich

Post by bjindrich » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:53 pm

I haven't pulled the trigger on Pyware because my drill writing workflow depends on having an easy way of swapping players, and having that swap be a permanent swap propagated across a drill. The drill program I use is a million years old but it lets me do this very easily (and I can swap any number of players at a time).

Am I hearing that even in the latest version of Pyware (7.2) there isn't an easy way to do a permanent swap of players?

kjbennett6

Post by kjbennett6 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:59 am

You can select 2 players and swap the two positions, however, when you see the drill, the players will still march to the original sets, until the very last count when the labels change to what you selected. It does work, however from a visual stand point, its distracting. I am hoping that when you select a form that you have already changed for that page, you can re-enter dot mapping after clicking accept.