Default Selection Tool

This forum is to discuss Tips and Tricks you have learned while using the 3D Java program

Moderator:PywareTechSupport

Phantom Demon
Default Selection Tool

Post by Phantom Demon » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:19 am

I seem to use the "Lasso" function a lot more than the "box" selection. Therefore, spending a lot of time selecting it as it always defaults back to "box".

Is there a way to change this?

Pyware
Site Admin

Re: Default Selection Tool

Post by Pyware » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:03 pm

Currently you are not able to change the default selection tool. However it should revert back to the selection tool you last used unless you escape or right click to close a tool. Then the Pointer tool would be selected.

-Dustin
Pyware Customer Support

George

Re: Default Selection Tool

Post by George » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:04 pm

@Phantom Demon

Yeah, I actually have the same issues at times because I also use the lasso tool quite frequently, if not more than the normal selecting option.

I don't know what kind of mouse set up you use or if you use just a touchpad on a laptop (I know many who do though I can't write that way), but if you have a mouse that has any sort of programmable button available then I would suggest maybe programming one to be that "F4" shortcut, which is the default for the Lasso Selection Tool. You don't even need a super spectacular mouse. I think it'll work on the "standard" microsoft mice with the scroller wheel that tilts side to side... and some of them even have an extra two smaller buttons for the thumbs. (i.e. example mouse)

I'm not suggesting you go out and buy a new mouse, but just to point out that it's an option you might want to look into if you haven't already or have a mouse with some extra buttons that you may not be using or know you can use. I use one of the buttons on my mouse (actually middle click on the wheel, which all mouses have now) for the Lasso Selection and it's VERY convenient and not a hassle at all when I need to use it. Depending on the device, you may also have to download some software that allows you to manually set those shortcuts. My mouse is a Logitech and I use the 'control center' software to set my button shortcuts.

I know that doesn't completely answer your question and it's still an added task to perform, but for me it's very useful to have a couple extra buttons on my mouse to utilize these tools and commands. I think it's worth a try. :)
George
Pyware v10

georgehesterdesign.com