Shifting a show

This forum is to discuss Tips and Tricks you have learned while using the 3D Java program

Moderator:PywareTechSupport

michaelpinkston
Shifting a show

Post by michaelpinkston » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:00 pm

I've just started my drill writing career last year, so please let me know if this is an obvious question. I have wrote my school's opener drill and I've realized everything is about 4-6 steps too close to the front sideline. Is there an easy fix to this that I don't know about or do I just need to fix each chart manually? Thanks!

Pyware
Site Admin

Re: Shifting a show

Post by Pyware » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:38 pm

Michael

You would have to adjust each set individually.

You can use the push tool to shift each set back the number of steps to correct each page.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Thank you
Dustin Merrell
Pyware Technical Support
940-240-8536

George

Post by George » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:53 pm

michaelpinkston wrote:I've just started my drill writing career last year, so please let me know if this is an obvious question. I have wrote my school's opener drill and I've realized everything is about 4-6 steps too close to the front sideline. Is there an easy fix to this that I don't know about or do I just need to fix each chart manually? Thanks!
Okay, you have a couple options - but I should preface by saying option 2 could make things a bit confusing but it depends on the group you're teaching. This is something that happened to me only once and I can tell you that the best way to do it to make it the easiest for the band (option 1) would be to go through and change each individual chart manually as you mentioned. This would mean a little more work for you but all you have to do is go to each page, select all (or some) and use the Push Tool to move them all back 4 or 6 steps.

Now, option 2 is something I discovered last year when this happened to me and thankfully the directors of the band I did this for have the students write their coordinates in drill books and they do not go by the printed coordinate sheets, word for word. This is easier for you but has to be followed with careful instructions by you to the students so they don't get confused. In my opinion, it really isn't a huge thing but it really depends on how the students are trained to understand the coordinate sheets.

In this sample, I'm making it a 4-step adjustment.
- Go to the menu bar and under Utilities select Grid Designer.
- Pull the front sideline down 4 steps. Then pull the back sideline down 4 steps - each by clicking the rectangle box where it has a number - default should be 26.25 for both.
- Once you do that, the front should say 28.75 and the back will say 23.75
- Then you have to go to the right side and pull each of the green handles down 4 steps.
- Click "OK" and it should have all of your drill appearing to be 4 steps pushed backfield.

Now, the result of this will be some strange numbers or indications on the printed coordinate sheets, but you just have to make sure the students ignore what it says. It will still say Home or Visitor hash, but the indication in the parentheses will be different. It could change to NCAA, HS or something like @11.2 for the hash indicator. Ignore whatever is in the parentheses. Everything else though is fine and as it would be and you won't have to manually move all the drill.

Just try it for yourself by printing coordinates for 1 position in the original file, modify the grid as I mentioned and print that same position's coordinates with the new layout. You'll see exactly what I'm talking about regarding the change of the indicator inside the parentheses, but the name of the hashes and coordinates will be correct and adjusted the way you need them to be.

Which option is actually "easier" is quite subjective, but it depends on how many pages and how much needs to be adjusted. If it's about 20 total pages, just do it manually. 40+ or for more than one movement, I'd change the grid, save the grid layout and apply it to the other files that needed the adjustment so that I wouldn't have to adjust every page of each drill.

Here's a step-by-step guide in pictures for you of what I just explained:
(click on thumbnail for full-size)

1 - original file sample:

2 - Utilities / Grid Designer

3 - default grid settings

4 - pull front sideline down 4 steps

5 - pull back sideline down 4 steps

6 - pull each of the markers on the right side down 4 steps

7 - be sure it looks normal and click "OK"

8 - original file sample with moved grid.

And the result of the printed coordinate sheets would look something like this:

If you can ignore the "(NCAA)", "(HS)" and "(@-3.8)" and not let that confuse you, you are all set. It's just very important to know that the coordinates DO adjust properly as you need with the grid shift, but those indicators just need to be ignored. I personally would rather adjust each set manually but this is an alternative if it would save you time.
Last edited by George on Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George
Pyware v10

georgehesterdesign.com

michaelpinkston

Post by michaelpinkston » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:13 am

Thanks so much! That definitely answered my question. Thanks again!