Squirrel Cage

This forum is to discuss Tips and Tricks you have learned while using the 3D Java program

Moderator:PywareTechSupport

MilitaryMan
Squirrel Cage

Post by MilitaryMan » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:54 pm

I'm designing a military marching show (6 to 5) with a block of 144 marchers (12x12). I'm approaching from the left side of the field and want to begin the drill on the 45 to the right side of the 50. The front rank will countermarch there, and basically lead a follow the leader through the CM. The front rank will then CM again, 4 past to the left side of the 50, which will put them then 2 steps behind the back rank so that it is a constant pass through. There HAS to be an easier way to do this than the things I've tried over the past 5 hours. If anyone could help, I would be most appreciative.

Pyware
Site Admin

Re: Squirrel Cage

Post by Pyware » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:51 pm

Here is a quick video on how to do the squirrel cage.
http://youtu.be/vUzTG0gZW7I
Thank you
Dustin Merrell
Pyware Technical Support
940-240-8536

greatcow95

Post by greatcow95 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:02 am

Oh god, squirrel cages. Know that you're not alone in the frustration of charting this.

Unfortunately, the Traditional Tool doesn't have a Countermarch command, so when charting this, I have to stop the drill so that the opposing countermarch can happen. Since I am a packrat, I left a sample Squirrel Cage on my Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6j67zrd4659el ... e.3dj?dl=0

There's only two ranks that I had to do start/stop charting on when plotting. After that, it's little more than executing another FTL Countermarch.

The video of it is here on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylhwB4a ... gbQZTCaAqg
I enjoy charting military drills. Let me know if you need any assistance with one of them.

Visit G S Bailey Drill Designs

Visit my Youtube page also!

Pyware
Site Admin

Post by Pyware » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:53 am

The traditional tools can do a counter march. This would consist of 2 flanking turns.

For example the squirrel cage video example Route code is lf1,lf10,lf1,lf. This will have the performers march to the action line and then flank left 1 step then flank left again and take 10 steps, then flank 1 take 1 step and flank left the keep marching to complete the count range.
Thank you
Dustin Merrell
Pyware Technical Support
940-240-8536

greatcow95

Post by greatcow95 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:13 am

Pyware wrote:The traditional tools can do a counter march. This would consist of 2 flanking turns.

For example the squirrel cage video example Route code is lf1,lf10,lf1,lf. This will have the performers march to the action line and then flank left 1 step then flank left again and take 10 steps, then flank 1 take 1 step and flank left the keep marching to complete the count range.
I learned something new today. Thanks, Dustin. :D
I enjoy charting military drills. Let me know if you need any assistance with one of them.

Visit G S Bailey Drill Designs

Visit my Youtube page also!