Obliques Question

This forum is to discuss Tips and Tricks you have learned while using the 3D Java program

Moderator:PywareTechSupport

MilitaryMan
Obliques Question

Post by MilitaryMan » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:56 pm

I'm having some issues with obliques coming out correctly for a military group (6 to 5).

I have an 8 x 21 block. The back file is on the back hash, the front file is 2 steps behind the front hash. Front rank starting on the 50, the block will march L to R and CM (2 half size steps to the left) on the 20 on the B side of the field. Then, as the ranks move through the CM, I need to start an oblique drill on the B side 35 with the leader of the back file performing an oblique turn to the sidelines. They will march 24 steps hitting the 50 (5 steps off the sideline) and performing a LF to march 24 more steps back to the opposite 35. The other three back files will do variations of this, and we will mirror these with the front four files.

I feel like if I can have some help getting that back file to do what I want, I can apply that to the rest of this drill. My issues seem to be..

1) How do I do a FTL to start the oblique when the back half of the file has not yet completed the CM?

2) The obliques are 5 yards R to L, and 5 yards Front to Back. This requires a larger step size, and after playing around with it, I think it comes out as a 5.65 to 5 step, taking 8 steps between the yard lines. How, then, can you do a FTL when some performers will be going 6 to 5 and some will be going 5.65 to 5?

3) If a FTL drill doesn't work, am I looking at charting each performer individually through the oblique drill?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

greatcow95

Re: Obliques Question

Post by greatcow95 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:24 am

Hello! This is what I've found to work fairly well when doing an oblique drill from block.

1. Regroup by file in groups of four using the knife and glue tools.

2. Each squad will then do the countermarch to oblique. This won't present the problem you're talking about, because the first squad has completed the countermarch, and the oblique drill will look cleaner on paper. For some reason, obliques do not space themselves out correctly when I use an entire file.

3. The total overall step size will wind up being 5.9 to 5. This is quite normal and ok, so long as they're staying on the grid.

If you have any more questions please feel free to contact me. Either click the globe icon by my nick for the website or click the youtube link in my signature. I'm more than happy to help.
I enjoy charting military drills. Let me know if you need any assistance with one of them.

Visit G S Bailey Drill Designs

Visit my Youtube page also!

MilitaryMan

Re: Obliques Question

Post by MilitaryMan » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:30 am

Thank you so much for the advice. I'll give that a try. May very well be back in contact with you soon, lol.