Alternate symbols

This forum is to discuss Tips and Tricks you have learned while using the 3D Java program

Moderator:PywareTechSupport

jeffwhite
Alternate symbols

Post by jeffwhite » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:13 pm

When I write for bands, color-coding symbols generally isn't as illustrative or convenient for me as using alpha-numeric symbols while writing (i.e. A for alto saxes, T for Trumpets, etc.). I use colors to help, but I still like the characters while designing. So, when I've completed a file, I usually save to ANOTHER duplicate file and change all the symbols to the Pyware font for printing and animation purposes. It doesn't take long, but it's a bit of a pain, especially if you later catch a small error and need to go back and re-print.

Anyone have a better method?

I'm curious if each performer might have a "secondary" symbol within pyware. Then, when I'm ready to print, I could tell Pyware to use "secondary" symbols along in a different font. I wouldn't need to make the change all the time. Maybe I should just learn to design using the Pyware font....

George

Re: Alternate symbols

Post by George » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:06 pm

I like that idea regarding the secondary symbol. That would make things a bit easier.

The method I use is similar to yours and what I do is save all of my files as a numbered version, such as:

1opener_01.3dz
1opener_02.3dz
1opener_08.3dz

and when I am all finished I make sure I do ALL of my label cleaning, text boxes, arrows and edits on the last file ('1opener_08.3dz') and then when it's done, I "Save As" a new file '1opener_09.3dz' and then "Save As" another file (like you said) and name it '1opener_print.3dz'.

Once the file is saved and then printed, I get RID of that "print" file and then send all of my files to my back-up disk, which is just an 8GB flash drive that stays on my desk at home. I then delete ALL but the '1opener_09.3dz' from my computer. And if I had to go back and edit that file to print again, I open it and right away "Save As" a new file calling it '1opener_10.3dz'. Later on, I remove the '1opener_09.3dz' file and back it up on my flash drive and online.

I know that anytime you read the word "delete" in this business, your heart kind of stops. For me, I went through a nightmare 3 years ago when my computer HD crashed and I lost ALL of my drill from 2002-2005. I was only able to recover SOME files from older e-mails. I was not very big on backing up my work at the time, but I take all the extra precautions these days. Now I back up my files onto my flash drive (and keep them on there for the whole year/season), and on a weekly basis I transfer all of my files to my website server (in a protected directory). I do this back-up once a week as a ritual of sorts... it's like people go to church on sundays, have their TV shows they watch on Wednesdays... I do Monday afternoon back-ups of all my files. (not just pyware, but ALL of my computer stuff).

It's a great advantage and perk to have unlimited space on the web to store my important docs and files. If I'm ever away from home (traveling or at the coffee show across town) I can always access these files from the web if I ever need to. I haven't had any instances where I absolutely NEEDED to access files online, but I consider it to be something like "insurance". I also do this in case something happens to my computer again or even my back-up disk breaks or gets lost, I can always recover everything online.

So, I do all that to save any confusion regarding what files are most recent or what files need to be printed/edited.

This might sound like it's a lot or a lot of trouble, but I rarely notice the hassle as it's something I have done consistently the past couple years. Leaving my folders as clean as I can really makes things a LOT easier when it comes to going back and editing or reprinting. It's also not something I got the hang of right away. At the start, I would be lazy and go edit something without saving it as a new file first... but now it's a system I am so used to and so careful with, I have probably saved several files as new names without even making edits. I'm one of those guys that will ALWAYS save the file when I'm closing pyware and it asks if I'd like to "Save" the changes - even if I know there weren't any changes. It's only a few KB on my computer and will then be backed up online later.

For me, all of the extra file saving is something I prefer after some bad experience in losing files. The key was to just find a routine that was comfortable that allows me to keep my folders clean and organized, as well as having multiple back-ups in the event I ever lose any information.

I know I went off on a little of a tangent talking about back-ups.... sorry about that. I like the idea of being able to just click a button and set an alternate/secondary set of symbols. That's a GREAT idea! :)
George
Pyware v10

georgehesterdesign.com