Assigning single grid symbol for multiple 3D instruments

General questions about the use of the Pyware 3D software.

Moderator:PywareTechSupport

mendel
Assigning single grid symbol for multiple 3D instruments

Post by mendel » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:52 pm

I suspect that what i'm looking for isn't possible due to what is considered 'primary key' for the database of symbols, but i thought i'd double-check to make sure.

When looking at drill in grid view, i dislike shapes or letters or etc. because a) it feels cluttered and b) different shapes with no "pinpoint" makes it more difficult to read where exact dots are at a glance. I therefore give all of my performers the same symbol (% which is a dot) and then differentiate sections by color.

However, doing this seems to limit my ability to have 3D view represent actual instruments accurately because in the symbol map, i can't assign a single symbol to multiple classes of people because it appears as if it's not a distinct variable from "keypad stroke". There's a "bug" workaround involving assigning symbols and then reassigning symbols, but it's cumbersome, finicky, and imperfect.

Am i missing something here, or am i correct in my assumptions about this? If true, can the next release of pyware redo database "primary key" to separate "keypad" from "symbol" so that symbols can be redefined for any given keypad stroke?

Is another potential workaround to create my own symbol font map where every "symbol" is the dot and then choose that as my font?
-
M

Pyware
Site Admin

Re: Assigning single grid symbol for multiple 3D instruments

Post by Pyware » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:42 pm

If you want to use the same symbol for every performer then the symbol map option would not be able to work for you.

You would need to select the performers and then assign them to their respective instrumentation using the Visuals Editor.

Alternatively you can assign each group by individual symbol, then when printing there is an option that was added in version 8 that allows you to print all symbols as dots. This will eliminate the confusion of pinpoint location issue you are referring to.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you
Dustin Merrell
Pyware Technical Support
940-240-8536

greatcow95

Post by greatcow95 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:03 pm

What you can do is on the first set, give them the instrument letter. This forces Real View to swap from a default marcher to the instrument you chose. After you've done this, you can turn them into an X or % or whatever you're using using the label tool.

Once they're switched, they do not switch to anything else, UNLESS you're using a symbol that is a Real View instrument. You'll also only have to do this once, as marking the drill as a continuation transfers the instrumentation into the next file.

It is a hair of extra work, but to me it would be a double check against not having the correct instrument numbers.
I enjoy charting military drills. Let me know if you need any assistance with one of them.

Visit G S Bailey Drill Designs

Visit my Youtube page also!

mendel

Post by mendel » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:49 pm

awesome. thanks!
-
M