java.io.EOFException

Report problems you have been having while using the 3D Java program.

Moderator:PywareTechSupport

Matthew Heard
java.io.EOFException

Post by Matthew Heard » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:23 am

Dustin--

This is a great addition to the already great support you offer...these forums will be handy.

With that being said, I am having a problem:

I am running 3DJava Interactive v. 2.0.0. with the 2.1.0 update. I am still getting error messages ("unable to open file - java.io.EOFException") and will not open the drill file, which is, of course, very scary right now during crunch time. Luckily, I've got backups saved on a jumpdrive, but I'm afraid to try and open that, in case I get the same problem.

It seems to happen only with files in which I am using props...is there a connection?

Thank you--
Matt
Thanks,
--Matt

M. Heard Custom Drills, Inc.
3950 N. Lake Shore Dr. #2225E
Chicago, IL 60613

matthewheard@mac.com
(407) 739 - 3090

PywareTechSupport
Site Admin

java.io.EOFException

Post by PywareTechSupport » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:54 pm

The error that you are describing is due to a corrupt file. This can happen if the program crashes, or an error in saving the file. If you recieve this error it is suggested you open one of your backup files. The 3D Java files creates automatic backup files. To access those backup files follow the steps below.

1) Go to the File Menu.
2) Choose Open.
3) Click on the button Go To Backups directory.
This will display all drills located in the backups directory.
4) Locate the file you are trying to open.
It will be listed as FILENAME.1.3dj
The most current backup is always #1 and the backups get older as the number increases
5) Once you have selected the file to open click Open.

If you get the same message when opening the backup file you will need to follow the above steps again and choose the next backup in the list.

Once you open the file from a backup go to the File Menu and choose Save As and save the Drill file in the drills directory. You may then continue designing.

We have not noticed any connection between this issues and the use of props. We do suggest if you are using numerous props on the page to limit the size of the image to around 15 - 20KB, this will minimize the amount of memory usage and increase the effecientcy of the program while running your drill.

If you have any questions you may contact me directly at dustin@pyware.com.
Dustin Merrell
Pyware Technical Support

PywareTechSupport
Site Admin

java.io.eofexception

Post by PywareTechSupport » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:08 pm

We have found a solution to correct some files that have this issue. To correct this issue you would need to email the file that is having troubles to me at dustin@pyware.com. I would then be able to better assess and correct the internal file issue.
Dustin Merrell
Pyware Technical Support