Technical Question - opening files

Report problems you have been having while using the 3D Java program.

Moderator:PywareTechSupport

George
Technical Question - opening files

Post by George » Fri May 27, 2011 5:52 pm

I've probably asked this before, but I'm not too sure if I've asked it in the same way.  

I'm speaking as a Mac user, specifically and I've already done a little bit of my own online research and not yet been able to come up with a solution.   Currently I am running Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.7.

When selecting a Pyware drill file - 3dj or 3dz - is there any way to simply double-click the file and have it open in Pyware? 

I can't remember if I got this to work in Windows XP or if it was the older Virtual-3D or Java, but something tells me that I was able to do it on Windows.  But after all of the customizing and choosing the application to open that type of file, I have yet to get it to work. 

This isn't something that I'm too worried about - but if there's a shortcut to the solution that I've missed then I hope you are able to help. 

Here's what I have done...

Try #1:
  • On double-clicking a 3dz file, I get the pop up that says:  There is no application set to open the document “joy-mvt1-001.3dz”.
    And there are button choices to "Choose Application..."  "Cancel" or "Search App Store"
    Obviously I select "Choose Application..." and search through the list of applications for Pyware - which is in a folder called "Pyware 3D v6" on my computer.   
    I have to change the Enable drop-down menu from "Recommended Applications" to "All Applications," in order for it to allow me to select Pyware. 
    I select the Pyware app and click the "Open" button. 
    Pyware opens as it usually does, but the file does not open.  
Try #2: 

Following steps that I found on the web...
  • I right-click the 3dz file and click on "Get Info"
    I look at the "Open with:" section and proceed to choose the application I want to open Pyware with. (The default selection is blank)
    I scroll through the list of applications and, again, must change the Enable to "All Applications" in order to select the Pyware app.
    Once selected, I check the box "Always Open With" (* An error message appears saying "It's not known if this application can open Document files.")
    I click "Add"
    I chose to then click "Change All…" hoping it'd assign Pyware as the default application for all 3dz files, however it disappeared from the "Open with:" menu. Hmm… So, I went back and re-added the Pyware app to "Open with:" but I did not click "Change All…"
    Unfortunately, nothing happens. :cry:

What I need to know is if there's a way to teach my computer that Pyware is a legitimate application (for starters), and also to be able to assign all of my 3dj and 3dz files to be recognized as Pyware files rather than "Unknown."

When I say "legitimate" application, that's probably the wrong word, but I'm looking for a solution that will allow the OS to recognize it as a "Recommended Applications" and also because the Spaces application - part of Exposé & Spaces application - does not see or recognize Pyware when I try to set the Space I'd like to have it assigned to. Even when Pyware is open, the Spaces app doesn't show it as a selectable application to assign to a space. I've been using Spaces on my Mac for the past couple years and I love this feature. It just so happens that Pyware is the only app that I use that the computer will not recognize.

I know that we're talking about possible compatibility issues that may only be apparent in the current Mac OS, but I thought I'd ask about this since I (myself) haven't seen any other posts about this exact issue on the forums, nor have I been able to find a solution on my own. And this is not the kind of "problem" that is hindering my ability to write drill, nor is it affecting the efficiency of opening files I want to work on. This is just a topic I wanted to bring up for not only myself but maybe for anyone else that runs into this issue and isn't sure what to do, if there's anything we can do.

Pyware
Site Admin

Re: Technical Question - opening files

Post by Pyware » Sun May 29, 2011 2:51 pm

George

I will do some investigation and see what I can come up with. We do have 3D accepting a file as a variable when it is opened so it should be opening the file if the OS has assigned the file type to the software.
Thank you
Dustin Merrell
Pyware Technical Support
940-240-8536

George

Post by George » Mon May 30, 2011 4:05 pm

pygraph wrote:George

I will do some investigation and see what I can come up with. We do have 3D accepting a file as a variable when it is opened so it should be opening the file if the OS has assigned the file type to the software.
I'm not sure that I completely understand what you just said.... :lol: It's probably what I said in my post but in the correct "programming language" ...but I'll drop you a short multimedia email about it. Not a huge deal at all, but just something I wanted to post here in case I've totally missed some setting or adjustment in the way the OS reads/recognizes the program.

Thank you for the help. I'll be in touch soon.

Pyware
Site Admin

Post by Pyware » Tue May 31, 2011 10:42 am

George

I have been able to make a change to the 3D so that it will be able to be assigned to a space.

On mac, currently I am not able to open a drill by double-clicking on it with the program closed. On Windows, it seems to be working properly once you assign the file type to the 3D Application.

1. Go to the following folder HD/Applications/Pyware 3D v6.
2. Right click on the Pyware 3D App.
3. Choose "Show Package Contents".
4. Expand the Contents folder.
5. Open the info.plist with the Property list editor. On 10.6 it will automatically open by double-clicking on the plist.
6. After the Property list Editor opens expand the "Information Property List".
7. Click on "Information Property List" and press the "Add Child" button.
8. Select "Bundle Identifier" from the list.
9. In the value type "Pyware 3D".
10. Then save the file.
11. Now go to spaces and attempt to add the Pyware 3D to the list.
Thank you
Dustin Merrell
Pyware Technical Support
940-240-8536

George

Post by George » Tue May 31, 2011 10:23 pm

whoa! Thanks, Dustin. I'll give this a go and see if it works. (I assume it will.) :)

I do remember when I was on Windows that I was able to get the file to open by double-clicking on it. I found that very useful back then. I remember noticing it didn't work right away when I got my first Mac in 2008 but I just figured I had to spend a little more time getting acquainted with the new OS. After a lot of trial and error I came on here and posted the question.

It's not a big deal for me... though it'd be nice to have that ability. I understand it's more the OS than anything, but I hoped there was some "super-secret" setting that I wasn't aware of. :P

George

Post by George » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:41 am

Ok... had to do a few extra steps in there but I got through the steps.

FYI - I didn't already have a Property list editor on my computer. I had to download Plist Edit Pro from the Apple website. Looks like it was part of the Xtools (or whatever... SDK - developer tools.) Anyway, that was easy... I have it and it works fine.

After following the steps, everything worked just fine to get it done - file saved and I even rebooted for good measure. Turns out that it DOES show up on my Spaces preferences as an application to choose to assign to a space... but it will not show up. *sigh*

So, whatever we did... it worked! But there's something missing, still.

jeffwhite

Post by jeffwhite » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:39 am

George,

Can you tell me where to get the Property List Editor? I've searched Apple's site and am apparently not as internet savvy as I thought….

Thanks.

George

Post by George » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:41 pm

jeffwhite wrote:George,

Can you tell me where to get the Property List Editor? I've searched Apple's site and am apparently not as internet savvy as I thought….

Thanks.
Hey Jeff,

Sorry for the delayed reply. The app I found is called PlistEdit Pro and it was part of the Xcode tools that Apple offers.

You didn't do anything wrong. It looks like they modified the apple.com site to make room for OS X Lion and the new App Store stuff, because this is the page that the application should be located at:
Web cached version from apple.com

But instead the Google search result link is redirecting me to here:
Apple downloads page

You can get more info and download it from the app developer website here:
http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/

I didn't buy it... just downloaded the free version/trial. I actually haven't used it or opened it since messing with this a month ago so I'm not sure what the limitations are or the time to use it. The website probably says so but I didn't read it.