Can't remove drill from production

Report problems you have been having while using the 3D Java program.

Moderator:PywareTechSupport

cgoodwin
Can't remove drill from production

Post by cgoodwin » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:07 pm

Hello -
I think I managed to confuse my program. For one of my clients, I add a drill to the end of the production moving the band into a block letter. I wanted to try something different, so I added another drill continuing from the closer, but saved it with the same drill and filename (I meant to add a distinguishing number, but am on autopilot at this point and forgot before I saved it). This is obviously not something I assume people do often, so I might have exposed a bug. It didn't warn me that there was already a file by that name or ask if I wanted to save over it or anything, it just went ahead and added a second chart with the same name. Now when I go to add/remove drill in the production, nothing shows up in the list, so I can't delete the files.

Is there a back-door way to edit production files, or am I stuck?

I was able to change the title in the Document options, but that didn't help. I think it's the filename that's an issue.

Thanks,
-Casey

cgoodwin

Re: Can't remove drill from production

Post by cgoodwin » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:19 pm

Found a way around it. I added a new drill, and in editing the production in there (re-ordering, etc.) the option to delete drill appeared. Once I deleted my other version, things are back to normal.

Perhaps there could be a warning if a new drill is added with the same name.

Also, I was just going to attach a photo of the window to show it really was empty. When I opened Add/Remove Drill in Production, the status at the bottom of the window implied it was building the lists, but then nothing appeared. Here it is, anyway.

Thanks,
-Casey
Attachments
addremove.JPG

mark
Site Admin

Post by mark » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:09 pm

Casey,

Was the duplicate file a .3dz and loose in your Drills folder? These are prerequisites for the Production Builder to "see" a drill.
Mark Mullins
Marketing Director
http://www.pyware.com
http://www.facebook.com/pygraphics

cgoodwin

Post by cgoodwin » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:29 pm

It was. I usually see a big list of files in that window, and have a mix of productions, .3dz and .3dj files in the folder, but NOTHING showed up when I opened the add/remove file window (as shown in the picture). Adding the new file allowed me to see the other one to delete (only one showed up, although the production thought there were two). Once I removed it from the production, everything started showing up where it was supposed to. I think it just got confused because the production had two drills with the same filename.

greatcow95

Post by greatcow95 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:59 pm

It would depend on how the file is made as to whether or not there would be a backdoor. If it's XML for example, then any text editor should suffice (like Text Edit under Mac OS X) or a specific XML editor (like the Plist editor under the Mac OS X Developer Tools).

Unfortunately, since I have no idea if this is the case, the only choice to find out is to see if it will open in a text editor and display something that can be understood or if it displays a bunch of gunk. My bet is it will show a bunch of gunk that can't be deciphered.

I'm glad the problem got solved though. :D
I enjoy charting military drills. Let me know if you need any assistance with one of them.

Visit G S Bailey Drill Designs

Visit my Youtube page also!