FTL Countermarch

Report problems you have been having while using the 3D Java program.

Moderator:PywareTechSupport

Oakenfold
FTL Countermarch

Post by Oakenfold » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:25 pm

Are there any tutorials or videos regarding how to create a FTL countermarch in Pyware? I've been through all the manuals, several versions worth. I understand what the CM tool is and does (I think).

However, my understanding of a CM is to do two half steps (in whichever direction) then flank again in that same direction, to reverse field and pass back through the band.

When I write a CM indicating it should go to the left at the blue line, my performers go two half steps to the right and then flank left, and FM in full size steps.

When I write a CM indicating it should go to the right at the blue line, my performers go two half steps to the left, and then flank right, and FM in full size steps.

What am I missing here?

Pyware
Site Admin

Re: FTL Countermarch

Post by Pyware » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:17 pm

The Counter March Tool of the Traditional Tools Plug-in will allow you to have 2 half steps taken on the turn.

You will need to select the 1/2 Stride box in order to accomplish this.

I have attached an image to illustrate this.
Counter March Half Stride.jpg
Counter March Half Stride function
Thank you
Dustin Merrell
Pyware Technical Support
940-240-8536

Oakenfold

Post by Oakenfold » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:48 pm

Thanks so much for the reply. I do understand that, and I understand how to get them to execute those two half steps. But my question really is about the after... Do you really have to chart every two steps sequentially to take, say, a 144 piece band through a countermarch?

After they countermarch, I can chart a group to go in the right direction, but say I have a block that 15 deep by 9 across. Is there any way to get the line that's 15 marchers long to FTL through the countermarch without having to chart every two steps for the whole band?

Pyware
Site Admin

Post by Pyware » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:45 pm

Here is a video example of the sample you discussed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65sdAviruLc
Thank you
Dustin Merrell
Pyware Technical Support
940-240-8536

greatcow95

Post by greatcow95 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:42 am

Without the countermarch tool, you are forced to stop every two counts to create the move. I run into similar issues coordinating a Diamond Drill in Pyware.
I enjoy charting military drills. Let me know if you need any assistance with one of them.

Visit G S Bailey Drill Designs

Visit my Youtube page also!

Oakenfold

Post by Oakenfold » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:01 pm

The YouTube example you set up was a godsend. It made everything so clear. Now I'm able to do CMs and staggered CMs without an issue. Thank you so much!

But now, for my next problem...

I tried to do an oblique drill (In traditional military marching, I chart 6 to 5). For obliques, I chart 6 steps forward, and 6 steps across on a diagonal, marching 8 steps from point to point. When I do a drill in Pyware, The spacing of my performers never remains at a two step interval. Sometimes it gets so bad, that I'll have two people countermarching on top of one another as I try to bring the band back into block. Would it be possible to see an example of how to correctly work an oblique drill?

I'm attaching a copy of the movements I'm trying to execute...

Hand Written Obliques by cscougarband, on Flickr

greatcow95

Post by greatcow95 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:13 pm

Working on it. Give me a little bit of time. This is a good job for the two-step waltz (stopping every two counts until things are worked out).

It might have to wait until tomorrow. It's driving me batty, because performers are jumping all over the place (I personally blame Firefox and not Pyware, but I digress). There is a clean way to do this without the performers jumping everywhere. Give me tomorrow and I'll get it for you.

I am assuming this is similar to the starting set that I need?
Attachments
oblique countermarch.3dj.zip
(5.75KiB)Downloaded 433 times
I enjoy charting military drills. Let me know if you need any assistance with one of them.

Visit G S Bailey Drill Designs

Visit my Youtube page also!

greatcow95

Post by greatcow95 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:29 pm

OK, I think I got the starting set fairly close to right. This is how I've got it so far. It's a very tricky maneuver to start with in Pyware for me, because I have to constantly keep thinking to switch off to 6 to 5.

I might have a finished product tonight and I might have it tomorrow. I'm having to stop every two counts to rework the figure. It's taking some time (mainly because I had to restart a couple of times due to weird things), but I'll get it done.

EDIT--and then I had a point get "eaten." AAAGH!!!!!
Attachments
Up to count 32
(21.8KiB)Downloaded 453 times

greatcow95

Post by greatcow95 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:49 pm

By Jove, I think I've got the whole thing.

Although I misnamed the file, since it's an oblique drill as opposed to an oblique countermarch. I had to stop every two counts to work the figure correctly and had to restart it a couple of times. Anytime I would try and jump the gun, I was on the receiving end of a brutal smackdown, as players would not be where they were previously placed.

My best advice on this is to save early and save often so you don't have to restart.

Also here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MOOcCzkt-k
Attachments
Full drill.
(52.63KiB)Downloaded 421 times
Last edited by greatcow95 on Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pyware
Site Admin

Post by Pyware » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:22 am

Here is a video of how to accomplish the 2 maneuvers you have discussed back to back.

http://youtu.be/nuysLpC7Eis

Here is the drill.
Counter march to Oblique 6 to 5 .zip
Counter March Oblique Drill File
(66.36KiB)Downloaded 506 times
Thank you
Dustin Merrell
Pyware Technical Support
940-240-8536