production sheet and text

We want to here your suggestions on what should be added to make the program better for you.

Moderator:PywareTechSupport

jeffwhite
production sheet and text

Post by jeffwhite » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:32 am

I really like using the new production sheet in version 5 -- great new tool! A couple things I've run into that would be nice to change for next year:

1. Occasionally I'll click on a cell in the "Measures" column to edit the measures for that set. I'll hit the backspace key ("delete" on macbook) to backspace the last character and the dialog box for deleting a transition will appear! Usually I have to cancel that dialog box twice before I can go on. Sometimes the character I'm deleting is gone, sometimes not. In the end I often have to HIGHLIGHT the text in the cell and then type over.

2. You can't copy and paste from one cell to another. I think it's possible to copy and paste out of a text box, but with the new text box template tool along with the production sheet, I rarely edit the text boxes on the design field anymore -- I just use a template and move on. It would be great if we could copy and paste a cell to another cell, or at least copy text within the "note" cells to be used somewhere else.

3. Similar to #2, it would be good if the text fields responded to typical keyboard shortcuts for text editors. For instance Alt+arrow allows you to jump through text much more quickly.

4. Once I've finished the drill, I go through and attach text to each page. Using the templates, I usually go to a page, open the text editor (for which my keyboard shortcut still doesn't work), select my "standard" template, accept the text box and go to the next page. With rare exception I do this for EVERY page. It would be a real time saver if there were a utility that did this automatically on every page. Then, with one click I would have all the standard text boxes completed. Even better would be "smart" templates that could detect which notes have been used (or even scan for key words -- like a mail filter rule in Outlook) in the production sheet and choose the correct template accordingly (I have one template for standard pages and another for subsets), but I don't want to get ahead of myself…baby steps.

Thanks again for this forum and for the many great improvements in ver 5.

Pyware
Site Admin

Re: production sheet and text

Post by Pyware » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:21 pm

1) I have noted this suggestion
2) For this use ctrl+C and ctrl+V for copy and pasting text with in the production sheet. This is an issue that is in the Java running environment we are investigating ways to correct this.
3) You can use ctrl + arrow keys to traverse through the text by word, again the modifier key is assigned by the JRE.
4) The Text tool shortcut is corrected in version 5.0.7 that will be released on 8/3. As for the one button text function to apply to all pages, we have that listed on our update list, I will amend the smart text placement as well as you suggested.

jeffwhite

Re: production sheet and text

Post by jeffwhite » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:15 pm

you guys are great! thanks!

I'll try the other control keys for text editing…thought I did before, but I'm fully capable of some serious operator error.