Text box suggestion

We want to here your suggestions on what should be added to make the program better for you.

Moderator:PywareTechSupport

jpratch
Text box suggestion

Post by jpratch » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:01 pm

Hey Dustin!

Is it ever going to be possible for us to put our text boxes somewhere else besides ON the field? These charts print off with so much unused space at the bottom, is there anyway we could put our directions, etc. down there? I'm running out of room on the field!

Thanks, man.

combia1

Post by combia1 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:54 pm

I second that motion. That is a great idea.

George

Post by George » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:27 am

Rather than start a new thread, I figured this was the best place to put this up.

I don't know about other designers out there but this idea came up today as I was going through having to enter text boxes for a 30+ page opener I just finished... and I basically put together an idea to present and see if others thought it might be worth it.

I want to see if it's possible to have a text box editing function that you can enter on ONE single window that will apply to all the pages. I'm not talking about bunches of specific notes and arrows and stuff... just the basic counts and measures... maybe an extra note, like this:

16 cts.
ms: 9-12
drums move double time

Currently we have a feature in the page tab editor where you can designate subsets or give the Set "title", which I have played with but I do not find useful in this case. In fact, I didn't even know I could type anything there until just now. :)

So, if we had a "Text Box Editor" (or similar name) in the Utilities Menu that could open like the page tab editor:

*** Image no longer available... sorry for any inconvenience (GH) ***

but instead looked kind of like this mock up I threw together with photoshop:

maybe that could make the process of going through multiple pages to add the textboxes just a little easier.

It would have a column of the set numbers and a column for the text information. There would be a clickable space in the "text info" column to type whatever you want and you can type however much you want.

A little drop-down menu to choose where the box would be located on every page. And if the boxes are in the way of drill, we can manually move them later. (but 9/10 times it never collides with anything when I place them in the upper right corner around the goal line and 10 yd line).

When you hit "Save" it'll store that information and post it on each page.

I guess a possible issue in doing this is synchronizing the changes if you edited it manually on individual pages after you saved the text information. Maybe it's something that would be easy to program??? maybe not... OR maybe the whole text box thing could be separate from this and this could just be specifically for the counts/measures/simple info and is only editable in that Text Box editor menu???? Heck, I wouldn't have a problem with that... I only have to put "special" extra instructions and/or arrows on a couple pages per movement.

As an example, I always have a text box on every page that looks somewhat like the sample I wrote earlier. the number of counts, measure numbers and maybe another little thing if necessary. Doing it manually on each page requires opening the text control, placing a new window, typing in the text, clicking the accept button and moving to the next page and repeating the process.

I do not think this is all that annoying or a bother to do the text boxes individually, but I just found myself wondering if there might be an easier way to do JUST those particular text boxes with the simple info that goes on every page.

So, this suggestion is more for the ease of adding a single text box per page with the simple basic instructions that go on every page. I don't know anything about the complexities for doing something like this but with many of the other features the software already offers, this seems like it would fit in as a very useful tool.
Last edited by George on Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
George
Pyware v10

georgehesterdesign.com

Matthew Heard

Re: Text box suggestion

Post by Matthew Heard » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:01 am

George that's a damn genius idea, even if you posted it in 2007 (so I don't often make it over to Pyware's website...oops...). Honestly, I spend A LOT of time after the drill is written adding text boxes (millions of them...), page instructions, move labels and generally making the drill look neat on paper. I think this multiple text box editor is a MUST! I also like the idea of being able to place text boxes off the field in the open field of white at the bottom of the page.

I still with the labels could figure out where they should and shouldn't be on their own...any tips on this? I seem to have to move all of my labels on every drill page...(but I'm also really anal about my drills looking tidy, so I might be creating some of this problem myself..)
Thanks,
--Matt

M. Heard Custom Drills, Inc.
3950 N. Lake Shore Dr. #2225E
Chicago, IL 60613

matthewheard@mac.com
(407) 739 - 3090

Pyware
Site Admin

Re: Text box suggestion

Post by Pyware » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:21 am

The text box option is on our list of future updates.

You can change the default location that the labels appear and are aligned at. This is in the Document options in the preferences tab, the option is Default Label position. If you choose contour it will contour the labels to the shape. This should help with the label alignment.

I would suggest that you download and install the new demo to see all of the new features that are available to you now.