iPad

We want to here your suggestions on what should be added to make the program better for you.

Moderator:PywareTechSupport

faturner
iPad

Post by faturner » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:09 pm

How about developing a "player" app for the new iPad so that someone could view a file and the animation during rehearsal? Wouldn't need to edit, just view.

Solstice

Re: iPad

Post by Solstice » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:59 pm

Hey Pyware!

This would be such a massive *win* for me! Instead of printing out the drill and then manually assembling "The Great Big Book" of our show, and of course manually removing and adding new pages from the inevitable re-writes... I'd buy an iPad *just* to be able to do this... then all I need is a good Acrobat Reader (hint to Adobe!) and I could have my drill book *and* my equipment book for the colorguard all on an iPad, plus be able to show the animation to a section while blocking in drill at camp, or while cleaning!!!!

I usually end up schlepping my MacBook Pro down to show the animations, but it is a hassle to power up (and then leave sitting on the sideline!) while teaching on the field. I could slide the iPad into a small shoulder bag (or large pocket) and have a ready reference for the drill at a moments notice!

Just me $0.02 worth...
David R. Wilson

North Thurston High School
Solstice Colorguard & Winterguard

Solstice

Post by Solstice » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:58 pm

Well, now that I have my iPad I'm already doing the following:

1) I am 'printing' my drill books as Adobe PDF files and then syncing them to my iPad to open in the app "GoodReader".

2)This app also allows me to file pages by show, so I can have multiple shows on the same iPad, as well as 'two finger' zoom in on a set as well as page through the entire show in 'stop action' animation (sort of!). This allows me to show individual sets within the drill to the folks involved by zooming into their section of that set.

3) Because I am syncing individual PDF files, when I make a change to the drill (which happens from time to time!) I can then sync the new pages to my iPad instead of having to print them and manually insert them into my drill book.

So right now the iPad has replaced my physical drill book, as well as my colorguard equipment book, which I am syncing the same way!
David R. Wilson

cavalier81

Post by cavalier81 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:15 pm

Solstice wrote:Well, now that I have my iPad I'm already doing the following:

1) I am 'printing' my drill books as Adobe PDF files and then syncing them to my iPad to open in the app "GoodReader".

2)This app also allows me to file pages by show, so I can have multiple shows on the same iPad, as well as 'two finger' zoom in on a set as well as page through the entire show in 'stop action' animation (sort of!). This allows me to show individual sets within the drill to the folks involved by zooming into their section of that set.

3) Because I am syncing individual PDF files, when I make a change to the drill (which happens from time to time!) I can then sync the new pages to my iPad instead of having to print them and manually insert them into my drill book.

So right now the iPad has replaced my physical drill book, as well as my colorguard equipment book, which I am syncing the same way!

Can't wait to get mine!!
To bad I can't just print from Pyware to a .pdf straight to the ipad.
Impact Drill Designs

conductbri

Post by conductbri » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:34 pm

i would agree an ipad viewer app would be great. Hopefully something like that can be created.

George

Post by George » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:43 pm

I know some people saw the first video I made, but I just threw together this new video showing an example of a way to utilize the iPad to teach drill.

Drill on an iPad
George
Pyware v10

georgehesterdesign.com

cgoodwin

Post by cgoodwin » Fri May 27, 2011 12:57 pm

Another vote for an iPad app. I'm considering buying an iPad for my band and using PDFs, but a viewer app would make it much easier to justify.

stuartsoft

Post by stuartsoft » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:47 am

Hi everyone!
I've been working on a project that does exactly that. View Pyware style drill on the iPhone/iPad... in 3D. It's essentially a marching simulator designed for an individual performer. Currently, the application allows a marcher to enter their drill by hand, and view their drill in a set-by-set simulation. It supports several different field textures, HS and college hashes, tempo changes, sub sets... ect. Unfortunately the app does not support direct Pyware integration at this time, but I would like to support this if I could figure out how the performance files are structured.

If anyone from the Pyware dev team is reading this, I'd love to make a Pyware export feature for this. It could streamline drill distribution so so much and essentially eliminate the need to ever print drill sheets :) Imagine writing drill on Pyware, running an export utility and instantly, each performer's drill is available on their phones in glorious 3D!

The app is available for iPhone and iPad and I'm working on an Android version at the moment.
http://bit.ly/14lGywP

Pyware
Site Admin

Post by Pyware » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:22 pm

Solstice

Post by Solstice » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:20 am

And just to bring my earlier comments full circle... this new app is a MASSIVE WIN as far as teaching the drill is concerned. I've done all of the other 'make work' solutions on my iPad... having a digital drill book is something I've been doing for a while now... as well as video captures of the drills in RealView 3D, all on my iPad Air, and the members of the band take that as a given now. However, being able to play individual pages on demand, and especially being able to highlight a member so they can see how they fit in (i.e. when a students misses some drill blocking and we need to catch them up quickly) is invaluable.

So to the development team of the new app... BRAVO! And please keep up the good work. I'm using the heck out of this app right now as we finish preparing for our first contest next weekend!
David R. Wilson