Adding "handle" for morp, bezier and follow the leader tool

We want to here your suggestions on what should be added to make the program better for you.

Moderator:PywareTechSupport

Jelantik
Adding "handle" for morp, bezier and follow the leader tool

Post by Jelantik » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:11 pm

I would like to see more intuitive way to draw bezier path on morp tool, bezier tool and follow the leader tool to control the shape and the smoothness of the path. I found it's very cumbersome to use lots of points with no handles to control the shape and the smoothness of the path. If you have handles on your points, you have a greater control to draw and shape your bezier path. In reality, the lesser the points you use, the easier the path can be adjusted using handles.

A great example is how Adobe Illustrator program or any vector art illustration program out there using handle on their pen tool to draw any bezier curve you can think off. (Ah yes, I use Adobe products for my day job :) so I can't help not to compare the experience). Because the handle makes the drawing experience so intuitive, when you create a bezier path, you feel as if you are drawing the shape on a paper with a pencil! (I'm always pulling my hair using pyware since it's too cumbersome to just create a shape that I want it). So my suggestion is how about adding "handle" on the top of your point to the morph, bezier and follow the leader tools?

Maybe, it's not a bad idea to see how those programs use handles to draw and control the shape of the curve? After all, Pyware always requires drawing the shape in the first place anyway which means the users still need to "draw".

Solstice

Re: Adding "handle" for morp, bezier and follow the leader

Post by Solstice » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:14 pm

I too would like the tools to be a little more like graphic arts programs (yes, I use Adobe quite a bit, but not for a living...) and less like CADD. I'm a truly "visual" person, and I often see one shape while mapping out the music in my head or in rough scene sketches, but end up with another shape that is a compromise between what I want and what I can coerce Pyware into doing... it's not like it's a giant struggle to use Pyware, but it would sure be handy on curvalinear shapes to be able to flex them once I've chosen a tool that should allow me to flex more, and remove dots less.

Just a thought...
Jelantik wrote:I would like to see more intuitive way to draw bezier path on morp tool, bezier tool and follow the leader tool to control the shape and the smoothness of the path. I found it's very cumbersome to use lots of points with no handles to control the shape and the smoothness of the path. If you have handles on your points, you have a greater control to draw and shape your bezier path. In reality, the lesser the points you use, the easier the path can be adjusted using handles.

A great example is how Adobe Illustrator program or any vector art illustration program out there using handle on their pen tool to draw any bezier curve you can think off. (Ah yes, I use Adobe products for my day job :) so I can't help not to compare the experience). Because the handle makes the drawing experience so intuitive, when you create a bezier path, you feel as if you are drawing the shape on a paper with a pencil! (I'm always pulling my hair using pyware since it's too cumbersome to just create a shape that I want it). So my suggestion is how about adding "handle" on the top of your point to the morph, bezier and follow the leader tools?

Maybe, it's not a bad idea to see how those programs use handles to draw and control the shape of the curve? After all, Pyware always requires drawing the shape in the first place anyway which means the users still need to "draw".
David R. Wilson

North Thurston High School
Solstice Colorguard & Winterguard