Future Visual Editor functionality

We want to here your suggestions on what should be added to make the program better for you.

Moderator:PywareTechSupport

Oliver Bullock
Future Visual Editor functionality

Post by Oliver Bullock » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:01 pm

I know the Visual Editor is in it's relative infancy...however, if down the road the Label Editor and Visual Editor could morph into one tool, I think the real power of Visual Editor can take hold. Right now as it stands I think the Visual Editor is a great tool that really can only be implemented fully by single file users. Power users and/or big picture designers undoubtedly find some of the redundant processes a little time consuming. For example...if when entering the instrumentation in the Labeling Editor, that input automatically registered in the Visual Editor, you could see your choices reflected immediately without having to re-enter this into the Visual Editor. When this idea evolves, I would be more inclined to use Visual Editor professionally...right now it's a really fun time suck!...and I mean that as a compliment. However...I do have bills to pay! :lol:

mark
Site Admin

Re: Future Visual Editor functionality

Post by mark » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:49 am

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for the suggestion. Have you tried using the Symbol Map Editor? This allows you to quickly assign uniform and instrumentation/equipment to performers without using the Visual Editor whatsoever. This option is found in the Utilities menu under Cast List Editor. If you choose Edit Symbol Map, the Symbol Map chart will open where you can assign values (uniforms and equipment) for whichever key presses (symbols) you use in design. At the bottom is a button that will apply the map to count 0 of the drill - all without ever opening the Visuals Editor.

The great thing about the Symbol Map is that if you're consistent with your symbols from file to file, you can save your values as defaults and 3D will remember them. This way when you start a new project for a different ensemble, all you need to do is apply the map to count 0 of the drill and the instruments will be ready to go.
Mark Mullins
Marketing Director
http://www.pyware.com
http://www.facebook.com/pygraphics

trimpe

Post by trimpe » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:26 pm

A suggestion for the symbol map:

I like to use dots for all of my performers and then move the letter to the label. I think it's easier to determine the center of a dot than the letter L. I would love it if there was a checkbox to have the map editor look at the labels to see if any of the letters match up with the capitol letters in the map. For example, if it saw I had T1, T2, T3, etc, it would know that those were to be associated with "T" and make them trumpets. Anything that it didn't recognize it would just skip over and/or treat it like the generic "X" performer.

Otherwise, the symbol map is great. For clients that want the letters, it's incredibly useful.

Oliver Bullock

Post by Oliver Bullock » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:40 pm

Thanks Mark... I will explore that feature.

ranbox56

Post by ranbox56 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:02 am

trimpe wrote:A suggestion for the symbol map:

I like to use dots for all of my performers and then move the letter to the label. I think it's easier to determine the center of a dot than the letter L. I would love it if there was a checkbox to have the map editor look at the labels to see if any of the letters match up with the capitol letters in the map. For example, if it saw I had T1, T2, T3, etc, it would know that those were to be associated with "T" and make them trumpets. Anything that it didn't recognize it would just skip over and/or treat it like the generic "X" performer.
Trimpe - I have had the same issues with the letters - in the pyjava2 font there are a multitude of characters that are ideal for finding the center of the character and can be different for different instruments. That way I "see" the instrumentation all the time...just my 2 cents