Grid Design Modification and Coordinates

General Discussion about Marching

Moderator:PywareTechSupport

GeneBennett
Grid Design Modification and Coordinates

Post by GeneBennett » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:01 pm

I modified the field grid design to represent the true size of the field, namely field depth, 160 feet@22.5"/step is 85.33 steps and the distance between hashes (NCAA hashes 40 feet @22.5"/step) is 21.33 steps.

When all modifications were complete, I noticed that the numbers in the left margin on the grid design page changed such that the front side line was no longer called zero (0), it was 0.83333397. It seems that all references front to back are made from the center of the field, depth wise. I was curious why the front side line reference, formally called zero changed when I moved the back sideline 1.33 steps furthur back ?

When all is said and done, the front-to-back coordinates also change.
Why are coordinates front-to-back referenced from the center ?
Why are hash designations referenced from the center of the field, depth wise ? Why are the hash measurements in yards from the center instead of steps or feet from the back or front ? Who measures from the middle ?

The bottom line question is, is there a better way to do this ? The whole process started because I wanted to make the distance between hashes 21.3 step instead of the 20 on Pyware supplied field files.

Has there ever been any consideration to make the hashes programmable (color thickness etc) I personnaly think that they are too "fat".

Thanking you in advance for your time.

Gene

PywareTechSupport
Site Admin

Post by PywareTechSupport » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:36 pm

Currently in order to have a exact 160 ft field the Hashes and yardlines are not on whole step increments. We are in the process of accomodating a more exact approach.

The only way to have the hash marks on a partial step is to change the resolution of the grid designer to 24 to 5 rather than 8 to 5 in order to move in 1/3 step increments.

As for the Hashmarks, you are unable to change the thickness of the line. You can change the color in the color options of the grid designer.
Dustin Merrell
Pyware Technical Support

GeneBennett

Post by GeneBennett » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:34 pm

Dusten

I understand and have already implemented the additional steps using the one-third (24 to 5). My main concern is how this modification effects the coordinate printouts. As I mentioned in my original post, the front side line is no longer "the zero reference". It was called the 0.83333 line.
Example: a coordinate 4 step from the front side line prints out as "4 steps from the 0.833333 line".

Gene

PywareTechSupport
Site Admin

Post by PywareTechSupport » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:54 am

Due to the way the grid designer creates the field the only way to have both sidelines read 0 on a 160 ft field you would have to move both sidelines 2/3 of a step. This would create the perfect 160ft field you are looking for.

As I said before we are working on another approach of being able to accomodate the 160ft field.
Dustin Merrell
Pyware Technical Support

visguy

Similar issue via indoor version.

Post by visguy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:58 pm

I am having the same issue when deisging a grid for winter guard. How do I create a true coordinate for these students? My coords are reading 1 step inside of the 8.75 yardline (Front Sideline)?

Thanks

George

Post by George » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:31 pm

this is so weird... I came on here today for the first time in months to ask the same question. I'm trying to design a grid for a band in Asia and they use a 40m field and I need to create something (like others noted) that doesn't tell me 2.25 in front of 22.5 yard line, or something like that.

Has anyone out there ever used this format of field grid? If so, how can I manipulate the grid to work properly? (I'm not looking for someone to send me a grid... I need to know how to do it).

Thanks for any input. :)
George
Pyware v10

georgehesterdesign.com

Pyware
Site Admin

Post by Pyware » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:10 pm

Visguy

If you have the grid set to measure outward it does not give you a sideline reference in the coordinates. If you set it to measure inward you will get the sideline reference in the coordinate system.

George I am doing some more research on your type of field and will be back to your question shortly.

George

Post by George » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:26 pm

pygraph wrote: George I am doing some more research on your type of field and will be back to your question shortly.
Thanks!

I just sent an e-mail to Dustin.
George
Pyware v10

georgehesterdesign.com