what do you charge?

General Discussion about Marching

Moderator:PywareTechSupport

jkamp
what do you charge?

Post by jkamp » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:07 am

What seems to be the going rate for drill design?

Solstice

Re: what do you charge?

Post by Solstice » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:56 am

jkamp wrote:What seems to be the going rate for drill design?
For me it depends on a number of factors:

1) Size and experience of the unit. If the unit is small and inexperienced I generally give them my "rookie" discount. Also, many new bands don't actually march a full show (i.e. 8 - 10 min), so I charge less because my effort is less.

2) Complexity of show concept. A show with a very complex musical selection will take more effort because the number of pages, and the overall complexity of the program, will be greater... A musically complex show SHOULD demand more pages because of the visual demand required to match the music. Again, you have to weigh the ability of the band. All of the bands I write for are bands that I know first hand.

Overall, I charge a flat rate per performer of $15.00... so a band of 100 would get charged $1,500.00. I also provide them with the drill files in both PDF format (for printing out) and the original Pyware files (if requested) in case they need to make adjustments. As a staff member I always ask for the Pyware files in case I need to make a change because of student migration.

Hope this helps...
David R. Wilson

North Thurston High School
Solstice Colorguard & Winterguard

cgoodwin

Post by cgoodwin » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:44 pm

I don't have a formula, but I have been charging $1000. The bands I write for are small (40-60) and competitive, but it's a local circuit and not particularly high-power. I'm planning to raise my rate this year to $1200. There is one other band that I write for that is non-competitive, and have only about 5 sets per tune, so I charge them around $900. I am curious to see what others charge, because I've been considering putting a formula in place.

Chas Myers

Post by Chas Myers » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:21 pm

My rates are based on the size of the band and when they get the music and instrumentation numbers to me. I charge a base fee of $1200 plus $4 per charted performer if I have all the materials by April 1, $6 per performer if I have the material by May 15, $8 if I have the material by June 15 and $10 per performer after June 15. The earlier I get the material the cheaper the cost. My rates included printed charts, coordinates, a pre-design consultation, one rehearsal and I download the drill file onto their computer if they own the Pyware software. All my clients are within an 80 mile radius of my home.

Another designer friend of mine tells his clients there are three choices but you only get two: Good, Fast and Cheap. If you want it Fast and Cheap it won't be Good. If you want Good and Fast it won't be Cheap. You get the idea.

I'm in Ohio and I know people that are paying triple what my rates are.
ohio drillman

Pyrrish

Post by Pyrrish » Mon May 11, 2009 10:29 am

You really have to think in "business man" terms. You should be charging as much as you can given your demand and expertise. That will vary for every person. If you're looking to start out, charge what you think you're worth. $1000 to $3000. If you get some demand, you can raise your price while keeping clients. I've seen $10,000 and beyond!