Using the pit space

General Discussion about Marching

Moderator:PywareTechSupport

Solstice
Using the pit space

Post by Solstice » Wed May 20, 2009 12:23 pm

Okay, this question isn't necessarily related to using 3D, but...

I'd like to write portions of our show, using an off-set or asymmetrical pit layout, so that we can extend our show into the part of the field that is normally reserved for the pit. Can someone give me a clear answer of the boundaries of this area? I've looked all over BOA's site, and though they mention an area being reserved for the pit, they don't spell out the boundaries. I've found some mention of the pit area being the marked 'coaches box' on the front sideline, but I would *really* like to know for sure *before* I write drill...

Thanks in advance!
David R. Wilson

North Thurston High School
Solstice Colorguard & Winterguard

trimpe

Re: Using the pit space

Post by trimpe » Wed May 20, 2009 4:46 pm

Generally speaking, it's different from circuit to circuit, but here are the general rules that I follow (mostly because they apply to my home state).

In Michigan, there are no real boundaries, only areas that will be guaranteed available for the performers. For example, the pit area for us in defined as from the 35 to 35, 5 yards beyond the front sideline. You can go beyond this if you like, but there is no guarantee that there will not be an obstruction there like a table or whatnot. I'm not 100% certain, but I believe that if it's not the same for BOA, you have 5 yards in front of the sideline from end zone to end zone guaranteed available, beyond that, write at your own risk.

Solstice

Post by Solstice » Sat May 23, 2009 11:54 am

Thanks!

We're looking at doing a totally asymmetrical show this coming season, the musical choices sort of call for it, as they are fairly abstract... our last show, the designer went too literal, and we got killed on execution when the literal shapes weren't clearly defined enough... so this year we're going to see if we can break some new ground for our program (i.e. leaving the lined parts of the field!) and see what happens... I know that asymmetrical shows are nothing new, they've been around since the 1980's, but we've never really done one before.

Anyhow.... I'd like to have a couple of shapes extend off the front side-line and into the "pit" during some flows or transitions. If anyone else has any advice or guidance to offer I'm all ears!

Thanks!
David R. Wilson

combia1

Post by combia1 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:26 pm

BOA rules let you go 12 ft. in front of the front sideline. To play it safe, I never chart anyone more than 6 steps in front. You can go as far off the sides and back as the stadium allows.

As a funny story, we found out the hard way in Iowa that front sideline and goal lines are out of bounds. Of course we had several you guard ladies "take a knee" on the goal line for part of the show. That added up to 9+ points in penalties!

Solstice

Post by Solstice » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:51 pm

combia1 wrote:BOA rules let you go 12 ft. in front of the front sideline. To play it safe, I never chart anyone more than 6 steps in front. You can go as far off the sides and back as the stadium allows.

As a funny story, we found out the hard way in Iowa that front sideline and goal lines are out of bounds. Of course we had several you guard ladies "take a knee" on the goal line for part of the show. That added up to 9+ points in penalties!
Ouch! That must have left a mark... LOL!!! A big black one! Yikes!!!

I'm not too worried about penalties as much as having a form run into an obstacle, so the six steps guideline sounds about right... right now I don't have anything concrete designed, but I'd like to flesh this idea out a bit and see what develops. I'm leaning toward having a form morph by flowing through the boundary space at some point, just to have the rolling form run through that space... Maybe even drop off a soloist on the way by... it will add to the overall impression that we're using space in a bit different manner than before. I know the first time some of the band kids see coordinates that are OVER the front side-line they'll about freak! It will be good for them to explore new territories, right? LOL!

If anyone else has any advice/guidance/suggestions/WAG's please feel free to share!
David R. Wilson