iPad

General Discussion about Marching

Moderator:PywareTechSupport

faturner
iPad

Post by faturner » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:11 pm

How about a "player" app that would run on Apple's new iPad? You could view a file and watch the animation. No editing, just viewing.

cavalier81

Re: iPad

Post by cavalier81 » Sun May 09, 2010 9:11 am

I'm looking at an ipad to put the drills I'm teaching/cleaning on. No more 120 page binders!!!
Impact Drill Designs

Solstice

Post by Solstice » Tue May 11, 2010 6:19 pm

Also using my iPad to replace my physical drill book. I'm "printing" my 3D files as PDF's and syncing them to my iPad via GoodReader. The main benefit for me of using GoodReader is that it supports "Folders" within the app, which allows me to store drill files, as well as equipment book files for the colorguard.

So far it works pretty darn well!
David R. Wilson

North Thurston High School
Solstice Colorguard & Winterguard

George

Post by George » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:44 pm

I just posted this as a reply to a different "iPad" thread, but I'm also posting it here just in case. :)

Drill + iPad = Awesome!
George
Pyware v10

georgehesterdesign.com

Solstice

Post by Solstice » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Drill + iPad = Awesome!

To quote Goerge... YES!!!

We just completed a week of camp, blocking in drill... it was *SO* unbelievably easier to block when I could zoom in on the drill pages (pinch zoom, YES!) and being able to show the same videos that we've posted on our web page of the drill was another epic win!

Just finishing up writing the last section of drill and then I'll make that video and save the whole business into GoodReader and I'll be golden going forward!
David R. Wilson

North Thurston High School
Solstice Colorguard & Winterguard

Raltis

Post by Raltis » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:12 pm

The only issue have is that the screen on the ipad is so tiny! It looks a lot bigger in the tv ads (no surprise) but I was astonished at just how small it really is. I'll be happy next year when the 17" iPad comes out.

medullaman

Post by medullaman » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:33 pm

I know this thread is about a year old now... but I have not seen a good answer to a question it would seem you have already answered. How do I make movies from my pyware drill files?

Pyware
Site Admin

Post by Pyware » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:23 pm

Are you on Windows or Mac?
Thank you
Dustin Merrell
Pyware Technical Support
940-240-8536

EODrillDesigner98

Post by EODrillDesigner98 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:51 pm

As a drill writer myself. Since i got my iPad last year, i been using GoodReader to view all of my drill pages and its awesome being able to view it then having to carry a huge notebook of paper of drill.

thegame_45

Post by thegame_45 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:40 pm

medullaman wrote:I know this thread is about a year old now... but I have not seen a good answer to a question it would seem you have already answered. How do I make movies from my pyware drill files?

I use a program called Camtasia. It records the screen and then you can convert the file to QuickTime so you can play it on your iPad

Solstice

Post by Solstice » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:00 pm

thegame_45 wrote:
medullaman wrote:I know this thread is about a year old now... but I have not seen a good answer to a question it would seem you have already answered. How do I make movies from my pyware drill files?

I use a program called Camtasia. It records the screen and then you can convert the file to QuickTime so you can play it on your iPad
I also use Camtasia... One thing I make sure is that I set up cameras in Pyware (using version 6) and then I use Camtasia to capture the video play on my Macintosh. With the 'cameras' set I always get the views of the drill from the same location on each video we post for our kids... We do a "God's Eye" video (which matches the printed charts) and a sideline video which shows the show from the front side about midway up the stands. Our kids are used to these two views now, and can relate to them once the video is posted. We also post working drafts for the band leadership so they can get stoked about the show in-progress and spread the word before camp!

George

Post by George » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:54 am

louimaurer wrote:What can I use other than camtasia?
Are you on a Mac? If so, I recommend ScreenFlow. Costs $99 and worth every penny. A free alternative for Mac users is QuickTime X. A lot of people either don't know about this or completely forgot, but QuickTime X (Snow Leopard and later OS X versions) will allow you to capture video with it.

I'm not a Windows guy anymore so I can't help you there.

Good luck!
George
Pyware v10

georgehesterdesign.com

greatcow95

Post by greatcow95 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:30 pm

If you're on Windows, you can use BB Flashback Express, which is an easy and FREE capture utility. It take a minute or so to get used to it. The only bad part is that it doesn't do .mp4 or .m4v needed for the iPad. That can be easily overcome with something like HandBrake.

If you're on a Mac using OS 10.6 or higher, QuickTime X will capture the entire screen. If you need to show the drill on drill paper with the moves, I'd go for that very easy solution. If you're on 10.5, then chances are you are using a PowerPC Mac (mainly since 10.6 is a pretty cheap OS upgrade to get so there's no reason for an Intel Mac to be on 10.5) and will need to find a screen capture utility.

It is mainly "set and forget" when it comes to capturing the movements in the drill. Then you shuttle it off to iTunes and let the iPad do its magic.
I enjoy charting military drills. Let me know if you need any assistance with one of them.

Visit G S Bailey Drill Designs

Visit my Youtube page also!

stuartsoft

Post by stuartsoft » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:53 am

I posted this on another iPad thread a little while ago. If you're looking for a better iPad/iPhone drill viewer...
Hi everyone!
I've been working on a project that does exactly that. View Pyware style drill on the iPhone/iPad... in 3D. It's essentially a marching simulator designed for an individual performer. Currently, the application allows a marcher to enter their drill by hand, and view their drill in a set-by-set simulation. It supports several different field textures, HS and college hashes, tempo changes, sub sets... ect. Unfortunately the app does not support direct Pyware integration at this time, but I would like to support this if I could figure out how the performance files are structured.

If anyone from the Pyware dev team is reading this, I'd love to make a Pyware export feature for this. It could streamline drill distribution so so much and essentially eliminate the need to ever print drill sheets Imagine writing drill on Pyware, running an export utility and instantly, each performer's drill is available on their phones in glorious 3D!

The app is available for iPhone and iPad and I'm working on an Android version at the moment.
http://bit.ly/14lGywP