upgrading to v5

General Discussion about Marching

Moderator:PywareTechSupport

cavalier81
upgrading to v5

Post by cavalier81 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:45 pm

I'm running 4.2.12 interactive on my imac 10.5.8
I'm looking at also buying a macbook pro and I'm sure it will come with snow leopard.
My questions are:
1. are the files I'm working on now in v4 compatible with v5 ?
2. If i decide to stick with os 10.5.8 on my imac, can i move back and forth between the macbook (snow leopard) and the imac os 10 with v5

Reed Richardson
Impact Drill Designs
Impact Drill Designs

George

Re: upgrading to v5

Post by George » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:23 pm

Reed,

I would guess that if you really needed to do that, yes, that should work. v5 has a built in option to "save as" a v4 compatible drill file. However, as you've probably read or seen in the update notes, you wouldn't be able to save or view any of the v5-only features, like the production sheet, et al.

I think when I experimented with this last summer I had issues with the grid colors on the perspective window when going from a v5 saved file to v4, but I don't recall. Those issues may have been fixed since then and I didn't really do a good job of documenting which release of Pyware v5 I was using. But what I do remember is that I was going between Pyware v4 and v5 only on 10.5.X Leopard - before Snow Leopard was out. Since Snow Leopard has been released, I haven't used v4 on a Mac.

When I did the Snow Leopard update last fall, I briefly would alternate with Pyware v4 on my windows XP laptop and v5 on my MacBook, but not for serious work... just for fun and not usually on the same files. Since all of my files were already v4 files and v5 "updates" it to a v5 file when opened in v5, I didn't do a lot of going back and forth or working between them. So, my knowledge there is limited. * edit - I used 'copies' of the files and didn't use the same ones or overwrite any of my original v4 files.

Transferring files was a breeze because I was using Dropbox to save my files. I use Dropbox regularly now and have been for a couple years, and it's a great tool for alternating between two different machines if you have to do that. Box.net is also a site I have been told works well. This may save you the trouble of using a USB flash drive, for example, but if you don't have internet everywhere you take the macbook, then USB drive it might have to be to transfer stuff.

In addition, would you not be wanting to upgrade Pyware on your iMac for any reason other than sticking with the older version? Or does it have to do with the number of installs you have on your license? I would assume that if you could run both versions, one on each machine, that you'd need at least two licenses. (geez, I don't remember how this worked but it did create a bit of confusion for me when I upgraded to v5... my licenses got all screwed up and I had to contact Dustin to delete one after it wasn't working.) I'm sure one of he Pyware guys will answer that, but I'd suggest that if you upgrade to the new Snow Leopard MacBook, just go v5 on both of your systems. Just a suggestion. It'd at least save you the trouble of having to remember to select "v4" every time you save a file. Not to mention, all of the v5 features that would not be usable in v4. *shrug*
George
Pyware v10

georgehesterdesign.com

cavalier81

Post by cavalier81 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:37 pm

Thanks George!!!
I sure I will go ahead and go with snow leopard on my imac as well. Just want to find out my options. so... I take it you like v5? I'm also looking at getting an ipad to take with me in the box. I know Sly will have his for his scores, and I don't want to be the only guy in the box not using one.

Thanks,
Reed
Impact Drill Designs

George

Post by George » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:37 pm

Hey Reed,

no problem! I'm sure there are other options... I just have never felt comfortable working on multiple machines unless it was a "last resort" situation. Haven't been there yet though.

I think the improvements from v4 to v5 are like going from a BMX to a 18-speed. Both are great, but v5 has a lot of major improvements that increases productivity and efficiency. It really depends on the designer and what tools they/you like to use. Many aspects are still the same as the general UI hasn't been modified a whole lot... but "little" things like a new toolbar for cleaning up the number labels, and the "block" tool which is a significant addition, in my eyes.

They completely redesigned the block tool to where it's so useful that I use it for any or every block/diamond/rhombus I need to create, as well as the occasional rows of lines or columns. (can't really explain without a visual example, but you'll see what I mean eventually.) I also really like the production sheet option and the way we can use that to enter the text box info.

Most everything else is generally the same... some other technical internal stuff was cleaned up to improve the software's performance but I couldn't begin to tell you about that. :)

As for the iPad and all that, I actually made a short video showing a way to use it as a drill tech. I didn't think about it until I made the video but I kinda wish I could be a guy in the box using it like this. What a great tool. :)

I know that many people already have found ways to make it work or will perhaps develop a specific application... but since there are already adequate applications out there, I assume that the app GoodReader will work out just fine for everyone.
George
Pyware v10

georgehesterdesign.com