Mac OS X Lion and Pyware

General Discussion about Marching

Moderator:PywareTechSupport

George
Mac OS X Lion and Pyware

Post by George » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:51 am

We're still 4-6 weeks from the official Lion release for Mac. Knowing that there were a few hiccups with Pyware v4 and Snow Leopard upon its Sept 2009 release, I just wanted to first of all ask if anyone out there is a developer and able to give feedback on the compatibility with running Pyware (all versions) with the new Mac OS X Lion. Anyone at Pyware on that with a developer preview? Anyone else?

And second, anyone who does happen to update upon its July TBD release date, please let us know what your experiences are. I'd appreciate it and I'm sure others will as well.

I'll admit... I went a bit goo-goo for the June 6th keynote on the Lion OS but I am 100% sure that I will wait until the end of the summer and I've finished all my drill before even thinking about upgrading. Even if it's said to be working fine, I can't risk any hiccups with my schedule. It'll be very helpful to get some feedback from any other Mac users out there that aren't as patient as I am and upgrade right away. ;)

Pyware
Site Admin

Re: Mac OS X Lion and Pyware

Post by Pyware » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:15 am

George

The current version 6 of Pyware will work on Lion as they are only including the current release candidate of the Java runtime environment. The version 7 is being developed by Oracle and Apple in the Open JDK Package.

As with any new operating system there will be issues upon release that cannot be anticipated. We will be proactive in resolving any issues that arise with the new operating system.
Thank you
Dustin Merrell
Pyware Technical Support
940-240-8536

George

Post by George » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:23 pm

Thanks for the info. I figured this would be a good topic to start for other users, besides just me. I understand that it may all still work, but when I upgraded to Snow Leopard a couple years ago, even though I was on Pyware v5, I still had problems when everyone else didn't. It wouldn't even stay open and would freeze and crash. It turned out that I had to do a full backup and restore of my HDD in order for it to work. I'm not entirely sure what exactly was the cause of the problem - probably some other application I had - but it worked after the re-format and reinstalling everything. I'd just prefer to not have to do that again in the middle of the summer. =)

knevsimal

Post by knevsimal » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:14 am

George -

I'm currently running a version of Lion Dev Preview 4 and I have no issues with Pyware so far.

Kevin

George

Post by George » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:34 pm

Cool! Thanks for the info, Kevin.

Even though I've been assured now by both of you, I need to wait. Kind of still hoping for a new iPhone to be announced in the fall. If not, no biggie! I'm available for upgrade in August so if there's a September-ish release of a new phone (assuming it'll all happen with the iCloud/iOS 5) then it'll be perfect for me to upgrade to Lion at the same time. I just don't want to be in a position where I have to mess with any sort of computer down time while I'm working. Have enough trouble already with the thunderstorms here in the midwest. If even the slightest storm comes through my neighborhood, it's almost a guarantee we'll lose power. But it's never too bad. Only a few minutes at most, but that's still no good for a guy who works on a desktop now. (glad I have dropbox!)

I appreciate you letting me know. My computer went completely haywire with 10.6 when I upgraded in '09. Pyware v5 wasn't even functional, but I was running a butt-load of background apps that probably contributed to the wonkiness.

P.S. How were you able to get a developer preview? Is that open to the public, like what they did with the Windows 7 release candidate a couple years ago? Or are you actually a developer?

lakinweaver

Post by lakinweaver » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:50 am

OS X 10.7 Lion was released today. I am currently downloading, but am hesitating to install until I can be sure it won't screw up my Pyware install. Anyone running the release version of Lion with no issues?

dorph31

Post by dorph31 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:50 am

No problems for me thus far, loaded Lion up last night and Pyware is up and running!

eparker

Post by eparker » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:50 pm

So I just upgraded to both Lion OS X and Pyware 6 today. Installing went according to plan. However, when opening the program from both the Dock and my Finder window I get a message:

Unable to start program
Problem:/Library/ApplicationSupport/Pyware3Dv6/lib/settings.txt (No such file or directory)

Does anyone have an idea what I am missing? Thanks guys.
ep

George

Post by George » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:30 am

eparker wrote:So I just upgraded to both Lion OS X and Pyware 6 today. Installing went according to plan. However, when opening the program from both the Dock and my Finder window I get a message:

Unable to start program
Problem:/Library/ApplicationSupport/Pyware3Dv6/lib/settings.txt (No such file or directory)

ep
I can't really help you with this but I thought I'd mention that @lakinweaver in the iPAS section of the forums just asked about the same thing the other day:
http://pyware.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4936

This is kind of what I was worried about. I don't wanna update yet because this sounds very similar to what I went through in '09 when I upgraded to Snow Leopard. For some reason everyone installed it and said it was fine but when I did it, everything kept crashing left and right - including Pyware. Luckily that was in September and I had already finished most of my drills. The only way I was able to fix it was to back up my entire system, wipe it clean and do a clean install from scratch. I'm not willing to do that this time.

mark
Site Admin

Post by mark » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:24 pm

eparker wrote:So I just upgraded to both Lion OS X and Pyware 6 today. Installing went according to plan. However, when opening the program from both the Dock and my Finder window I get a message:

Unable to start program

ep
This is typically caused by the Operating System not allowing 3D to write to the Application Support directory. While I'm not completely positive on what all is changed on Mac OS upgrades, I could see this option being reset.

To correct this, please do the following:

-Go to Mac HD/Library
-Control+click on the Application Support folder
-Choose Get Info
-Expand Ownership (or sharing) & Permissions
-Set all user groups to READ & WRITE (note: if you cannot change this, you may need to click the padlock and type in the admin name/pass)
-click the cog wheel and choose "apply to enclosed items"
-Run 3D again

At this point, the \ApplicationSupport\Pyware 3D v6 folder should create with all of its contents, and you can go about your business.

Note: for those that are security conscious re: having all users being able to read/write to the App Support folder, once you have 3D installed and activated correctly, you can go back, revert the read/write changes you made to Application Support, but I would suggest repeating those steps for the newly created Pyware folder.

mark
Site Admin

Post by mark » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:26 pm

George wrote:

Unable to start program

ep
I can't really help you with this but I thought I'd mention that @lakinweaver in the iPAS section of the forums just asked about the same thing the other day:
http://pyware.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4936

This is kind of what I was worried about. I don't wanna update yet because this sounds very similar to what I went through in '09 when I upgraded to Snow Leopard. For some reason everyone installed it and said it was fine but when I did it, everything kept crashing left and right - including Pyware. Luckily that was in September and I had already finished most of my drills. The only way I was able to fix it was to back up my entire system, wipe it clean and do a clean install from scratch. I'm not willing to do that this time.
Completely understand your concern, however this (and lakinweaver's) issue is that of permissions set for users in the operating system. It's actually been pretty mello (see what I did there?) in terms of problems with 10.7.

Loboe

Post by Loboe » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:10 pm

I have just installed OS Lion and when launching Pyware 3D I receive a message stating I could not open because PowerPC Applications no longer supported. How are others running this program with OS Lion?

eparker

Post by eparker » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:20 pm

You need to upgrade pyware. I moved to 6 and have no problem on Lion.

lakinweaver

Post by lakinweaver » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:32 pm

Completely understand your concern, however this (and lakinweaver's) issue is that of permissions set for users in the operating system. It's actually been pretty mello (see what I did there?) in terms of problems with 10.7.
This is interesting, since I run on an administrator account. I agree that the transition has been relatively painless.

George

Post by George » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:44 am

so... I hesitated but couldn't wait. Upgraded to Lion a couple days ago.

Just wanted to reaffirm that Pyware works great in 10.7 Lion. A few adjustments were needed with my mouse and game controller shortcuts (meaning no more exposé/spaces) but it's all working great. I really like the OS a lot! Some major improvements and some that I'm not too fond of but will eventually get accustomed to.

Something I made sure to do, and I'm glad I waited and did it all at once, was updated ALL of my applications to whatever was current. There were about 3 straight days of major updates for Lion compatibility and I needed em. AirDisplay was a big one, which I use for my iPad as an external display when I write. The other significant update included ScreenFlow, which I use to capture video.

All's good... we're at DEFCON 5! :P
George
Pyware v10

georgehesterdesign.com