The First Drill Design Software Exhibition

General Discussion about Marching

Moderator:PywareTechSupport

greatcow95
The First Drill Design Software Exhibition

Post by greatcow95 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:11 am

I thought we could do something that would be for pure fun. It can be a learning experience for some and for others, it can be a chance to showcase their talents and gain more business. Remember, this is nothing but having FUN with drill design software.

I'm going to split this up into multiple posts also (four total--please wait to reply until after the last post). I've found that doing this makes for easier reading and referencing. So let's take a look at:

The First Annual (Maybe More Than Annually) Drill Design Software Exhibition

Introduction

This will be divided into four parts: Disclaimer, Procedures for the Drill, Band, and Procedures for Reviewing. You may choose to submit one and review, just submit, or just review. The choice is yours.

Part I—Disclaimer

I am not affiliated with any piece of drill design software. I am not even affiliated with pen and paper drill design companies! However, I do use Pyware and if you’re reading this, you likely use it also! So care to take a guess at what software will be used the most? Probably Pyware, but for legal reasons, I have to state this is in no way affiliated with them or with any other drill design software company.

This is in no way a branded exhibition unless a drill design company decides to sponsor it and turn it into their own. I have no control over that kind of thing and will happily allow them to sponsor it if a company so desires to be a sponsor. Until that moment happens, though, there is no official sponsor.

I hate to harp on this, but it needs stated multiple times. This is in absolutely no way sponsored by any company. This is a community effort to have some fun.

In addition, there is no prize. I will not offer one, as I would rather have this as an exhibition rather than a competition and I’m just plain broke! In addition, there are significant copyright concerns raised by having a tangible prize.

All drills are the respective property of the drill creator and they have final say about what can be shared and what cannot. Songs used belong to whoever owns the songs. No infringement of copyright is intended.
Last edited by greatcow95 on Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I enjoy charting military drills. Let me know if you need any assistance with one of them.

Visit G S Bailey Drill Designs

Visit my Youtube page also!

greatcow95

Re: The First Drill Design Software Exhibition

Post by greatcow95 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:12 am

Part II—Procedures for the Drill

1. The style of the band can be whatever you so desire, so have fun. Military style, corps style, giant productions, or simple and fast—all are welcome this year! Please note, however, that future exhibitions might require you to write in a particular style, so make sure to read the procedures every time.

2. You may use whatever drill design software you want.

3. You may only use two songs and those two songs may not go over ten minutes in length. While some of us might love to see a three-hour tour de force, others like me are limited on our Youtube accounts (more on that later).

4. Those two songs have to be available in an audio format somehow. MIDI files are fine. You may also use any other audio file provided they reasonably sync up with the drill file. Wading through a five-second delay will only give us headaches. Background/audience noises are all right but please make your best attempt to find a recording without it.

5. You are allowed to use a video editor only for minimal editing purposes, i.e. syncing an MP3 to the drill. Don’t use transitions.

6. If you use Pyware 7, try to only use the fabric files on the Pyware message boards or within the application itself. Minor alterations are fine. For example, changing black pants to white is perfectly fine. This is not required, but it would help for simplicity’s sake.

7. Try to capture the field performance view when possible. I know some of us have older systems and this might be impossible. If so, then get the main screen.

8. Please use the default field. I know some will want to use “Super Awesome Football Field 3000” but it just isn’t worth it. Use the default.

9. You must upload the video file to somewhere so we can view it. What’s the point of an exhibition if you can’t exhibit it?

10. Make sure to clearly note the style of the group in your design. This will help tremendously with reviewing and prevent “raging forum beast” issues.

11. You must provide the entire drill (not just the first 80 counts) as an attachment on the message board (http://www.pyware.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5199). In addition, please state whether or not we are allowed to use it. Give permission to use it or not—either is acceptable and there will be no “revenge” against someone that doesn’t want to share their work. However, the file must still be posted. There will be a thread for attaching them so watch for it in the next couple of months.

12. If something is not in the procedures, you may use it without asking for permission.

13. The “due date” is October 31, 2012. It’s just an arbitrary date I picked. If anyone wants to turn one in during the first part of November, I won’t say anything about it.

14. Have fun creating it!
Last edited by greatcow95 on Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I enjoy charting military drills. Let me know if you need any assistance with one of them.

greatcow95

Post by greatcow95 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:14 am

Part III—The Band

The band itself is composed of 80 winds, 15 percussion, and 1 field commander. This is done for the sake of making things as uniform as possible and is one of the only things that are set in stone.

The winds are broken down this way:
Flutes (including Piccolos) 10
Clarinets 20
Saxophones (alto, tenor, baritone all together) 25
Trumpets 10
Trombones 8
Mellophones 3
Tubas 4

Percussion is as follows:
Snare Drum 4
Tenor Drum 3
Bass Drum 4
Cymbal 4
You may have an unlimited number in a percussion pit. They won’t count this time, but could count in future versions of this.

You may use 15 auxiliary people but are not required to. They can be split up however you so desire (flags, rifles, etc). It is not necessary to define exactly what they are doing other than their position on the field. So don’t worry about what moves they are going to do unless you want to worry about it.
Last edited by greatcow95 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

greatcow95

Post by greatcow95 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:15 am

Part IV—Procedures for Reviewing

1. You can review as many or as few as you want. Have fun and look at them all if you desire! Don’t look at any of them if you don’t want to!

2. Do not criticize because someone chose a MIDI file over an MP3 or the file has audience noises in it. That’s just rude and it might be the only audio they can find for it!

3. No trash talking. This is the single rudest thing you can do and this isn’t a competition. The message board rules still apply.

4. Go in it with an open mind. The more open, the better, because you might find a little something in someone else’s drill that you just love. You might even find a style that you never knew you would like.

5. Be constructive. “I don’t like it” as an entire reply is not constructive.

6. Remember the little things like military-styled bands don’t normally do curves. Some might even choose not use any auxiliary units. Don’t be “That one judge everyone hates because he screws groups over.” (I can probably name at least three judges like this and I’m sure other people can name some also)

7. Leave your comments in an accessible spot. The message board is probably the best spot. Youtube and other video site comments are good also. Try to avoid video responses when possible, because it just leads to MORE video responses.

8. The due date for responses is December 20, 2012. If the world ends on December 21, 2012 at least we will know what other people thought about our work! If the world doesn’t end…well, I’ll make a spring exhibition and we can do this again!

9. Have fun reviewing!

This is the final post.

greatcow95

Post by greatcow95 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:48 pm

Minor update: The post for placing drills will be set up around September 15, 2012. Watch for it on the General boards as a separate topic.

Also as an FYI, here are the next four exhibitions:

1. There will be a giant immovable clock placed at a terribly awkward spot, with two fictional clock songs.

2. Military-style bands (either East Texas style or Parkersburg, West Virginia style)

3. A massive crisis situation where everyone in the auxiliary group has QUIT! So the band has to make it without an aux.

4. Percussion Feature. You don't have to do anything but provide maneuvers for a set number of counts.

I'm looking for more ideas, so fire them off here. Your idea might be another exhibition challenge!

George

Post by George » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:24 pm

Hi there...

I feel kind of awkward being the only person to actually respond to you (on here at least) and wanted to give my personal opinion on this. I believe this "exhibition" you created is kinda cool and could be fun for some people, however I feel that your timing for this couldn't be worse.

I understand that the summer or marching/writing season is when we're all at our peak for creativity and likely the best time to get any drill designer to do something like this. But since I can only speak for myself, the last thing I want to do during these precious months/weeks is participate in something such as this when there are paying clients and schools that are relying on my services of quality and timely delivery of drill. Maybe your target isn't 12-year veteran designers... I get that. I'm just saying.

Of course you wouldn't want anyone to sacrifice their career for this simple exhibition idea. That's why I'm going to suggest holding this at a time that (I believe) would be more appropriate to benefit their skills as a designer. Perhaps starting it after the US high school competition season ends - around mid November - and concluding it around Feb/Mar to give them time to do it and voting/comments/feedback around April/May. That way there could be comments and feedback given prior to the start of the drum corps season (when many will leave for tour to either march or teach) and before they begin their writings for the next fall season.

Again, emphasizing that I can only speak for myself, I have a feeling that other Pyware users or drill designers who might want to participate in this and can't/didn't, would agree with me to an extent or completely. That being said, I suppose it's all theoretical unless more designers are able to respond and share their thoughts as well.

I think it's a neat idea... has potential... but I think you need to work out a better schedule that doesn't interfere so much with the US high school competition season. Moving it to the winter may or may not attract more people. You never really know. Some designers work with the indoor groups, but some do not. I guess there's always something to get in the way of doing this, however, the months of June - November should probably be left off-limits in order to attract more drill designers to participate in this exhibition.

That's my two cents and only my feelings - no one else's. Hope it all makes sense.
George
Pyware v10

georgehesterdesign.com

greatcow95

Post by greatcow95 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:13 pm

There will definitely be others and one will be in the spring after the holiday season. Yes, the timing was a little on the bad side, which is why there will be more than just one. It's also why the due date wasn't until late October/early November. That game some degree of time, but I can definitely understand that designers do need to earn a living too! That's why there was a significant amount of time involved (July, August, September, October, and early November if need be).

So there will definitely be another after the holidays (I'm leaning toward the giant immovable object, but who knows...). It could be done as one from October to December and one in the Spring. While that comes into a possible conflict, making it last until December should help alleviate those concerns.

Hope to see one from you in the Spring!

mark
Site Admin

Post by mark » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:33 am

I’ll chime in and second what George mentioned. I don’t think the timing worked out for most.

With that being said, I would like to comment on the exhibition you have created. For many people out there (both designers and directors), drill design is a job. Some may call it a “necessary evil.” For others, drill design pays the bills and puts food on the table.

Much like carpenters need hammers, drill designers need their tools of the trade (obligatory Pyware plug) to get the job done. We aim to provide that tool for you all. To see that our users not just use, but enjoy using our software during their free time is a huge compliment.

Thank you.
Mark Mullins
Marketing Director
http://www.pyware.com
http://www.facebook.com/pygraphics

greatcow95

Post by greatcow95 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:36 pm

mark wrote:I’ll chime in and second what George mentioned. I don’t think the timing worked out for most.

With that being said, I would like to comment on the exhibition you have created. For many people out there (both designers and directors), drill design is a job. Some may call it a “necessary evil.” For others, drill design pays the bills and puts food on the table.

Much like carpenters need hammers, drill designers need their tools of the trade (obligatory Pyware plug) to get the job done. We aim to provide that tool for you all. To see that our users not just use, but enjoy using our software during their free time is a huge compliment.

Thank you.
Like I said before, I can perfectly understand the timing issue (then again, it would be a perfect time for a college student to get their feet wet if it's repeated at this time of year). I might re-issue this challenge in the spring or go ahead to the clock scenario (although I would personally despise the immovable clock idea, but would take it on as a challenge or maybe just do it as a poll and see what people vote for). It depends on my mood through the holidays, as it wouldn't be issued until January. Maybe we can keep it as just a January to April thing? It's definitely a possibility.

Doing this kind of idea is like having people throw a bunch of darts. You might get a bullseye or two and people will get interested or you'll only get one or two people. Time will definitely tell and we'll see what exactly will happen in the January one.