FAQ: Mac OS 10.11 El Capitan and Pyware

General Discussion about Marching

Moderator:PywareTechSupport

greatcow95
FAQ: Mac OS 10.11 El Capitan and Pyware

Post by greatcow95 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:47 am

Look for Mr. Green :mrgreen: to introduce each question that will inevitably come up.

:mrgreen: What is Mac OS 10.11 El Capitan?

10.11 is the newest version of the Mac OS. While it might look the same as prior versions of the Mac OS, there are lots of under the hood improvements. See https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/os-x-el ... 9117?mt=12 for information (this should open up your Mac App Store). Pyware is indeed running nicer under 10.11 than under prior versions of the Mac OS, particularly the current version using Oracle's Java.

:mrgreen: What are the system requirements for 10.11 El Capitan?

If your system can run 10.9 or 10.10, it can run 10.11. Your system might not be able to take advantage of everything, but the improvements are enough to upgrade. (see later in this post)

:mrgreen: Is there anything I need to do before upgrading to 10.11?

Yes.

First, download the Mac Runtime for Java here: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_US if you are using anything other than the current version of Pyware. The OS upgrade, once again, erases any MRJ that was on the system previously to prevent conflicts. Do not install it until after you have upgraded to 10.11.

Thankfully, the Oracle version of Java DOES NOT ERASE when installing 10.11.

Unlike Windows 10, Pyware will remember your authorizations under the Mac OS, so there is no need to deauthorize your version of Pyware. However, once you wait out the install process, you should reinstall MRJ if you're using any old version of Pyware.

:mrgreen: What versions of Pyware are working under Mac OS 10.11?

Good question! From my personal experience, the following versions are working: Pyware V6, Pyware V7, Pyware V8.0.0, Pyware 8.0.6, and Pyware 9.

These versions were already installed prior to the upgrade, save for Version 9 because it wasn't out when I originally upgraded. If you install afterward, you mileage might vary. In any event, prior versions will require the legacy Java.

:mrgreen: What about the legacy Java? I've heard rumors that Apple won't support it after 10.11.

I've heard those same rumors, as have Dustin and Mark over at Pyware headquarters. It's the main reason why the switch to Oracle Java happened and why the switch has infuriated Mac users. Yes, the current system of using MRJ wasn't broken, but it will be, and likely Soon™.

The switch had to happen sooner or later, and they chose sooner. However, under El Capitan, all the little improvement have actually sped up and stabilized Pyware in ways that 10.10 simply could not do.

:mrgreen: Can I dual boot into Windows 10 and use just one installation license for the entire Mac?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Each OS under the Mac is treated as a different computer under Pyware. So each OS will need its own install or full blown license. Also, while it does run in Parallels, it doesn't see the registration you did under the Windows partition. Since there is a full-fledged Mac version, it's silly to do this. BUT...I wanted to try it because someone might ask.

:mrgreen: Is there anything that won't work under 10.11 El Capitan?

I'm going to link two forum threads at MacRumors.

Hardware: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/har ... n.1925474/

Software: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/os- ... s.1890772/

:mrgreen: Can I screen record under 10.11?

Yes! See the very next post in this topic for screen recording under QuickTime X for Mac.

There are lots of other screen recording options for Mac also. Check them out. You might find one that is perfect for you.

:mrgreen: Soundflower is messed up and won't record sound after upgrading.

I know. El Cap borked it because Soundflower placed it in the system library. Remember though--it's not a BUG, it's a FEATURE! :D

Go here: https://github.com/mattingalls/Soundflower/releases and download the beta. Once you open the image, you will probably have to right-click open it and it will install like it should. Then you can use it under El Cap.

NOTE: I am having massive problems with Soundflowerbed even running under 10.11. This makes recording audio through it impossible. Stay tuned. I'm trying to look for a good workaround.

:mrgreen: What is this new Metal thingie I keep hearing about under El Cap?

It's nothing to worry about yet. The developers (in this case, Mark and Dustin and the rest of those fine folks over at Pyware) have to code Pyware under the Metal framework. Until then, it won't affect us. When it is coded under Metal instead of OpenGL, expect Macs that support it to work amazingly. The Metal framework is designed to reduce the overhead that graphics intensive applications (like games and Pyware) need to run effectively.

If your Mac was produced (not necessarily sold) after 2012, your Mac will support Metal. You can check the production year under "About This Mac" from the Apple Menu. Alternatively, you can purchase any Mac Pro that will run 10.11 (Early 2008 or later) with an upgraded graphics card capable of Metal will work.

Compatible GPU's to look for when you are working with a Mac Pro:

Nvidia – GeForce gtx 4xx and newer
AMD – HD7000 and newer

Or run this little utility: http://fabulouspanda.com/downloads/metaltest.app.zip

:mrgreen: Hey, thanks a bunch! You saved my butt.

You're welcome. If you'd like to you can follow me on Twitter (MilitaryDrills) or like me on Facebook (G S Bailey Drill Designs) or even click the Youtube link in my signature to subscribe. Or not. I won't be mad if you don't do it.
Last edited by greatcow95 on Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:56 pm, edited 10 times in total.
I enjoy charting military drills. Let me know if you need any assistance with one of them.

Visit G S Bailey Drill Designs

Visit my Youtube page also!

greatcow95

HOW TO: Screen Record Using QuickTime X for Mac

Post by greatcow95 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:24 am

As an FYI, other screen capturing applications will work similarly enough that you can use this HOW TO with the one you prefer. However, since I prefer QuickTime to record, I will be using that in this document.

YOU WILL NEED:

1. Pyware, open and running with your drill called up (or whatever charting app you use). Make sure all windows within Pyware are in the exact spot and exact size you want or else you have to adjust it before Step 6 in the next section.

2. QuickTime X. This is, by default, installed on any Intel-based Mac OS.

3. Soundflower. You can download it here: https://github.com/mattingalls/Soundflower/releases

HOW TO DO IT:

1. Install Soundflower and make sure it is running. You will see a flower in your menu bar if it's running.

2. From within Pyware, make sure all windows are the exact size you want them during the record. Set the yellow pin to 0. Also make sure to give yourself several beats afterward by moving the red pin several beats after your last page tab marker (the last beat of the song). You'll thank me for that later!

3. Open System Preferences in your Dock and then select Sound.

4. Change both Input and Output to Soundflower 2 ch. Not changing both will make this not work.

5. Quit System Preferences and open QuickTime.

6. Select to make a new screen recording (CMD-CTRL-N). Right next to the red record button is a down arrow. Click that arrow (if you hit the red button on accident at this stage, hit Escape to return and then hit the arrow). Select Soundflower 2ch.

7. NOW you can hit the red record button.

8. You will now click and drag to record the portion of the screen you'd like. Then click within the recording area to begin the recording. You will also notice a new icon in your menu bar (circle with a square embedded). Take note of where it is. If you did this wrong, go to step 10 and then come back to 8.

9. Move down to the play button in Pyware and hit play. Allow the drill to run its course.

10. Once the drill finishes and you get your extra padding over, you will then hit the new icon that appeared in your menu bar. You will now see a new window come up that has your recording!

11. If you'd like, play the recording to make sure you've caught what you needed. If so, go to the File menu and then go to the Export menu. I tend to use 720p for my exports, but your needs will vary.

12. Name your file and hit enter to export your file.
Last edited by greatcow95 on Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
I enjoy charting military drills. Let me know if you need any assistance with one of them.

greatcow95

GENERAL MAC FAQ

Post by greatcow95 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:11 pm

Rather than make a new post, I thought it'd be easier to keep things consolidated in one post. Mr. Green is still your friend, introducing each question.

:mrgreen: I have a PowerPC Mac and need to know what version of Pyware can run on it.

So do I! I actually have several of them. There are lots of differing opinions, and here are my highly biased results:

PowerPC G3 (any spec)--It's been a while since I've ran Pyware on a G3 processor. You are likely running Mac OS 10.4 and 9.2.2. These are very old systems and require a very old version of Pyware to work correctly. I'd say either Java V2 or V3 is your best bet under 10.4. Under 9.2.2, the results are skewed even worse against you as no version of 3D Java will even work under 9.2.2. Virtual 3D (it came on floppy disks, don't laugh) might work, but I don't know if it even works under the Classic OS.

PowerPC G4--If you can, upgrade the processor. You can easily search eBay for a processor upgrade and it's not as scary as you think. If you have a single processor around 1.6 GHz, then you can go for Version 4 under Mac OS 10.4 or 10.5. If you were lucky and snagged a dual processor (dual 1.6 GHz or better), then go for Version 5 or even Version 6 under Mac OS 10.5

PowerPC G5--Anything short of a G5 tower should be running V4 or V5 under OS 10.5. Any G5 tower can quite easily run V6 under OS 10.5.

:mrgreen: Can a PowerPC Mac run Version 7 or 8?

No. Well, you can't run it unless you somehow pull a miracle and get the Apple Java 6 to run on there or pull a different miracle and get the Mac OS to accept Soylatte Java as an MRJ. It's a convoluted process that can't guarantee anything, so you're better off sticking to what I posted above.

:mrgreen: What about for Intel Macs not running Mac OS 10.11?

This depends on what version of the Mac OS you are running on your system.

OS 10.5 Intel--You are in the same boat as a G5 user and need to run V6.

OS 10.6 through 10.7--Go with Version 7 and don't look back or forward.

OS 10.8 through 10.10--This will take some digging to find it, but install Version 8.0.0 and not any higher. The higher versions use Oracle's Java and it's notoriously laggy on pre-10.11 systems. So stick with 8.0.0. If you are anything other than a Mac Pro and used a way to bypass into 10.8 or higher, then you need to go to Version 7.

:mrgreen: I have a Mac Pro 1,1 through 2,1 and want to run 8.0.4 under the Mac OS.

It's possible. First, check out this forum thread at MacRumors: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/200 ... n.1890435/ There's a lot to dig through, but it's well worth it. Post-digging, install Mac OS 10.11, being careful to avoid screwing up your system. Then install the Oracle Java release and Pyware 8.0.4.

You might need a better graphics card for it and you can buy one from http://www.macsales.com/ if you want new. For used, go to eBay.