Upgrading Computer - Most Important Specs

General Discussion about Marching

Moderator:PywareTechSupport

ContraGuard
Upgrading Computer - Most Important Specs

Post by ContraGuard » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:40 pm

Hey all! After years of debating it, I'm going to take the plunge and pick up Pyware and try writing for a few schools. I'm about due for a computer upgrade as well so I figured I'd ask this: One of the band directors I work with claims that Mac architecture handles Pyware better than Windows devices, how accurate is that? Also, when getting the computer, what details are most important? 32 vs 64 bit, type of processor, graphics card, ram, hard drive, etc.

Thank you!

Pyware
Site Admin

Re: Upgrading Computer - Most Important Specs

Post by Pyware » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:38 am

I have listed the recommended requirements for the software below.
If you are buying a new computer that you are wanting to last for a few years I would purchase one above the requirements below.

If you are getting a mac you would need to get one with a dedicated graphics card. On new models these are AMD Radeon graphics cards.
For the new Macbook this would only include the 15" MacBook top end model.
For the new iMac this would only include the 27" iMac series.

If you are getting a Windows machine you will want to look at gaming computers to filter the appropriate features. You will also need a 64 bit operating system.

Recommended System Requirements
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit or greater, Mac OS X 10.8 or greater
Hardware: 2.4 Ghz Dual Core Processor, 4 GB of RAM or greater
ATI Radeon HD 5770, NVIDIA GeForce GT 550,
600 MB Hard Drive Space
Thank you
Dustin Merrell
Pyware Technical Support
940-240-8536

greatcow95

Post by greatcow95 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:04 am

I'll state this bluntly--you need to think of this as a gamer.

Processor--Greater clock speed. More cores are fine, but gaming relies on the actual clock speed more than anything else. The bigwigs at Aspyr put it this way: 1 GHz is 1 GHz regardless of processor architecture.

RAM--Yes. More is better, but get the RAM from somewhere other than the manufacturer.

Graphics Card--Bigger is better. Some people will say that X card is overkill, but overkill simply means you can have more performers without choking the system. Integrated graphics tend to be a no-no. Pyware will still run, but not as effectively.

I do know the guinea pig Mac (at least used to) is a 2011 mini core i5 with the Radeon graphics card. That was the key influence in my decision a few years back. The guinea pig, I think, has changed to an iMac of some sort lately.
I enjoy charting military drills. Let me know if you need any assistance with one of them.

Visit G S Bailey Drill Designs

Visit my Youtube page also!

richk

Post by richk » Wed May 11, 2016 12:35 pm

I too am looking to upgrade my computer and add pyware, but I would like to go one step farther in my question...

Would you mind providing a few links to suggestions of laptops (preferably under $1600)?

I have a short window of time to make the purchase before our budget closes, and would really love to know what laptops you guys have specifically had success on. I would prefer a PC, but could go mac if needed.

We will also be using the laptop for Finale/Sibelius, Virtual Drumline and smart music. Other than that, just typical office use.

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

Pyware
Site Admin

Post by Pyware » Wed May 11, 2016 3:25 pm

Thank you
Dustin Merrell
Pyware Technical Support
940-240-8536

voisi1rv

Post by voisi1rv » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:40 am

Pyware runs great on PC. Get a PC if you want one, or get a Mac if you want one!