FAQ: macOS 10.12 Sierra and Pyware

General Discussion about Marching

Moderator:PywareTechSupport

greatcow95
FAQ: macOS 10.12 Sierra and Pyware

Post by greatcow95 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:43 pm

Look for Mr. Green :mrgreen: to introduce each question that will inevitably come up.

:mrgreen: What is Mac OS 10.12 Sierra?

10.12 is the newest version of the Mac OS. While it might look the same as prior versions of the macOS, there are lots of under the hood improvements. See https://www.apple.com/macos/sierra/ for information.

:mrgreen: What are the system requirements for 10.12 El Capitan?

Well, this time, it's different from 10.11. Not every Mac that can run 10.11 can run 10.12. Officially, if you have one of these, you can run 10.12:

MacBook (Late 2009 or newer)
MacBook Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)
MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)
Mac mini (Mid 2010 or newer)
iMac (Late 2009 or newer)
Mac Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)

:mrgreen: Is there anything I need to do before upgrading to 10.12?

Yes.

De-authorize Pyware this time. You didn't have to for 10.11, but you have to this time. Failure to do so will result in the "you cloned this to a new hard drive" message from the application.

:mrgreen: What versions of Pyware are working under Mac OS 10.12?

Officially, Versions 8.0.1 and higher will run. Apple once again removed the legacy MRJ Java, and with a plot twist we all knew was coming, has dropped any official support for it.

:mrgreen: Wait...no official support for the old Java?

Yep. There is no longer official support, so anything from Pyware 8.0.0 on down can not be really supported at all under macOS 10.12. Dustin, Mark, and everyone else at Pyware might not be able to fix the problem you might have from future use now under the current macOS. This is truly uncharted waters for all of us in drill designing.

Right now, though, the legacy Java will install, which means the older versions of Pyware will launch. Be aware of a few things, though. First, it isn't supported by either Apple or Pygraphics. Second, if something breaks down the road, it might be unfixable and require you to upgrade to continue usage on the Mac.

Here is the link to the legacy Java install.

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_US

AGAIN, you are unsupported by doing this and may have to downgrade back to 10.11 if you continue to use the older versions of Pyware.

:mrgreen: Can I dual boot into Windows 10 and use just one installation license for the entire Mac?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Each OS under the Mac is treated as a different computer under Pyware. So each OS will need its own install or full blown license. Also, while it does run in Parallels, it doesn't see the registration you did under the Windows partition. Since there is a full-fledged Mac version, it's silly to do this. BUT...I wanted to try it because someone might ask.

:mrgreen: Is there anything that won't work under 10.12 Sierra?

MacRumors has you covered. So go to their 10.12 forum and click any of the sticky posts there. Be warned that you might have to dig around.

http://forums.macrumors.com/forums/maco ... 10-12.195/

:mrgreen: Can I screen record under 10.12?

Yes! See the very next post in this topic for screen recording under QuickTime X for Mac.

There are lots of other screen recording options for Mac also. Check them out. You might find one that is perfect for you.

:mrgreen: What is this new Metal thingie I keep hearing about under El Cap? Does this still exist under Sierra?

Yes, the Metal API still exists under macOS 10.12 Sierra. However, it's still nothing to worry about yet. The developers (in this case, Mark and Dustin and the rest of those fine folks over at Pyware) have to code Pyware under the Metal framework. Until then, it won't affect us.

When it is coded under Metal instead of OpenGL, expect Macs that support it to work amazingly. The Metal framework is designed to reduce the overhead that graphics intensive applications (like games and Pyware) need to run effectively.

If your Mac was produced (not necessarily sold) after 2012, your Mac will support Metal. You can check the production year under "About This Mac" from the Apple Menu. Alternatively, you can purchase any Mac Pro that will run 10.11 (Early 2008 or later) with an upgraded graphics card capable of Metal will work.

Compatible GPU's to look for when you are working with a Mac Pro:

Nvidia – GeForce gtx 4xx and newer
AMD – HD7000 and newer

Or run this little utility: http://fabulouspanda.com/downloads/metaltest.app.zip

:mrgreen: Hey, thanks a bunch! You saved my butt.

You're welcome. If you'd like to you can follow me on Twitter (MilitaryDrills) or like me on Facebook (G S Bailey Drill Designs) or even click the Youtube link in my signature to subscribe. Or not. I won't be mad if you don't do it.
I enjoy charting military drills. Let me know if you need any assistance with one of them.

Visit G S Bailey Drill Designs

Visit my Youtube page also!

greatcow95

Re: FAQ: macOS 10.12 Sierra and Pyware

Post by greatcow95 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:50 pm

As an FYI, other screen capturing applications will work similarly enough that you can use this HOW TO with the one you prefer. However, since I prefer QuickTime to record, I will be using that in this document.

YOU WILL NEED:

1. Pyware, open and running with your drill called up (or whatever charting app you use). Make sure all windows within Pyware are in the exact spot and exact size you want or else you have to adjust it before Step 6 in the next section.

2. QuickTime X. This is, by default, installed on any Intel-based Mac OS.

3. A fairly decent video editor. I use Final Cut Pro. iMovie can do much of the same thing.

HOW TO DO IT:

1. From within Pyware, make sure all windows are the exact size you want them during the record. Make sure that your audio track is ready to run with the drill if you have one. Set the yellow pin to 0. Also make sure to give yourself several beats afterward by moving the red pin several beats after your last page tab marker (the last beat of the song). You'll thank me for that later!

2. Open QuickTime.

3. Select to make a new screen recording (CMD-CTRL-N).

4. Hit the red record button.

5. You will now click and drag to record the portion of the screen you'd like. Then click within the recording area to begin the recording. You will also notice a new icon in your menu bar (circle with a square embedded). Take note of where it is. If you mess up, hit escape and try it again.

6. Click anywhere in the area highlighted to begin recording.

7. Move down to the play button in Pyware and hit play. Allow the drill to run its course.

8. Once the drill finishes and you get your extra padding over, you will then hit the new icon that appeared in your menu bar. You will now see a new window come up that has your recording!

9. If you'd like, play the recording to make sure you've caught what you needed. If so, go to the File menu and then go to the Export menu. I tend to use 720p for my exports, but your needs will vary.

10. Name your file and hit enter to export your file. You'll notice there is no sound. This is fixed in the next step.

11. Open your video editor and drag the new video along with the audio file (if you need to) into the timeline. For Final Cut Pro, the process is fairly straightforward. The hardest part is lining up the audio track to the video. After a few times, though, this process becomes nothing to do.

12. Trim the fat from each end of the file and you're ready to export!
I enjoy charting military drills. Let me know if you need any assistance with one of them.

greatcow95

Re: FAQ: macOS 10.12 Sierra and Pyware

Post by greatcow95 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:55 pm

Rather than make a new post, I thought it'd be easier to keep things consolidated in one post. Mr. Green is still your friend, introducing each question.

:mrgreen: I have a PowerPC Mac and need to know what version of Pyware can run on it.

So do I! I actually have several of them. There are lots of differing opinions, and here are my highly biased results:

PowerPC G3 (any spec)--It's been a while since I've ran Pyware on a G3 processor. You are likely running Mac OS 10.4 and 9.2.2. These are very old systems and require a very old version of Pyware to work correctly. I'd say either Java V2 or V3 is your best bet under 10.4. Under 9.2.2, the results are skewed even worse against you as no version of 3D Java will even work under 9.2.2. Virtual 3D (it came on floppy disks, don't laugh) might work, but I don't know if it even works under the Classic OS.

PowerPC G4--If you can, upgrade the processor. You can easily search eBay for a processor upgrade and it's not as scary as you think. If you have a single processor around 1.6 GHz, then you can go for Version 4 under Mac OS 10.4 or 10.5. If you were lucky and snagged a dual processor (dual 1.6 GHz or better), then go for Version 5 or even Version 6 under Mac OS 10.5.

PowerPC G5--Anything short of a G5 tower should be running V4 or V5 under OS 10.5. Any G5 tower can quite easily run V6 under OS 10.5.

:mrgreen: Can a PowerPC Mac run Version 7 or 8?

No. Well, you can't run it unless you somehow pull a miracle and get the Apple Java 6 to run on there or pull a different miracle and get the Mac OS to accept Soylatte Java as an MRJ. It's a convoluted process that can't guarantee anything, so you're better off sticking to what I posted above.

:mrgreen: What about for Intel Macs not running Mac OS 10.12?

This depends on what version of the Mac OS you are running on your system.

OS 10.5 Intel--You are in the same boat as a G5 user and need to run V6.

OS 10.6 through 10.7--Go with Version 7 and don't look back or forward.

OS 10.8 through 10.10--This will take some digging to find it, but install Version 8.0.0 and not any higher. The higher versions use Oracle's Java and it's notoriously laggy on pre-10.11 systems. So stick with 8.0.0. If you are anything other than a Mac Pro and used a way to bypass into 10.8 or higher, then you need to go to Version 7.

OS 10.11--If your system can handle it, run 8.0.1 or better. For lower end systems that are supportable, this isn't likely, so stick with Version 7 or 8.0.0.

:mrgreen: I have a Mac Pro 1,1 through 2,1 and want to run 8.0.1 or 9 under the Mac OS.

It's possible. What I would do is scan MacRumors' 10.12 forum for installing on unsupported Macs. This one may or may not be possible. If it is not possible, install 10.11 on there. From this point, it's a simple install process to get Pyware up and running.

You might need a better graphics card for it and you can buy one from http://www.macsales.com/ if you want new. For used, go to eBay. There are also sites offering flashed PC cards to place in them. Check them all out and choose the best you can do.