Performer Labeling

General Discussion about Marching

Moderator:PywareTechSupport

louisianadrillguy
Performer Labeling

Post by louisianadrillguy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:30 pm

Hello everyone,

I am new to drill writing and have a question about performer labeling. What is the standard letters used for each instrument?

Thanks,
LouisianaDrillGuy

George

Re: Performer Labeling

Post by George » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:26 pm

I don't think there is a standard, so you are welcome to use whatever you would like.

Some people use the same symbols for all and just assign a different color to each section. Some use colors AND symbols. And some just use symbols.

My setup is more or less like this, however the letter symbols I use are for me alone to use and see as I write. I always use the dot font when I print to PDF and mail the drill.

Woodwinds (color = light blue)
F = Flute
C = Clarinet
A = Alto Sax
S = Tenor Sax
L = B. Clar / Bari Sax

Brass (color = dark blue)
T = Trumpet
H = Horn/Mello
N = Trombone
B = Bariton/Euph
@ = Tuba.

Note: Some label the trombone as R and the tubas as U. Those are somewhat stock from what I remember when I started. I prefer N and @ instead. I like the @ because a former colleague of mine uses that and it's a great symbol because it's slightly larger and very different than the other symbols, and makes it somewhat easier to notice, leave space for or whatever... plus, kinda resembles a sousaphone anyway. :)

Drums (color = black)
S = Snare
Q = Quads/Tenors
D = Bass Drums
C = Cymbals

I usually number my snare drums so I can keep track of their order, so I just number them as 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. according to their drill number. It's easier to keep track of them if I ever have to flip them, weave them around, etc. It's not good to let your drums get out of order. Some drum instructors might not care so much, but it's always good to keep them in order, regardless: 1,2,3,4,5 or 5,4,3,2,1.

Also, when I label the bass drums, I will color bass #1 as red so I can keep track of their order if I ever have to flip them. Some people number the bass drums as well, to make it easier to keep track, the same way I do the snares. I just don't happen to do as much moving around with the bass drums as I do the snares.

Color Guard (color = red or green)
G = Color Guard (Flag or Dancer)
G = Color Guard (Weapon)

You should feel free to experiment and choose what symbols you prefer and what is easiest to identify for you. There are particular letters that correspond with certain symbols using the special PYJAVA2 font, and you can find that key somewhere in the lib folders, I think.

Good luck! :)