Demo teacher version?

List features and suggestions that you would like to see in future versions of iPAS

Moderator:PywareTechSupport

augustson
Demo teacher version?

Post by augustson » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:16 am

Are there any plans to create a demo of the TEACHER version of iPas? I'd like to see what the process of creating original iPas exercises is like before I commit to this for my program.

marooncadets

Post by marooncadets » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:22 pm

I have been writing lessons for the band recently in the teacher edition, so here's my two cents worth. The lesson can easily be written in Finale and Sibelius. I have written some of the For... only exercises in book 1 and it takes about 15 minutes to write. (I use Finale). The process of converting the PPQ to 240 takes a few minutes, but writing the lesson and making the file takes only 30 minutes or less start to finish. I have written about 2 exercise a day for 2 weeks and the process is going quickly.

Here are the steps:
1. Open the template and start putting in what you want. Remember to leave the 2 measures blank at the beginning.
2. Save file in midi and move to My Midi files folder.
3. Open Lesson wizard and fill in the blanks and you are good to go.

Once you learn the process, it goes quickly. The power this program has is so much better than Finale Performance assessment.

You also can put in some neat accompaniments too, even a marching band sans percussion.

Hope this helps and feel free to write back if I can help more.

Jim Jolley
Jim Jolley- Assistant Director of Bands - Center Hill High School - www.chbands.com

augustson

Post by augustson » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:46 am

Jim--

Are you using Windows? I'm using a Mac w/ sibelius and the iPas system doesn't seem to want to use the MIDI files I create. I know the pyware website suggested using a program the runs under OS9, but I don't have or use OS9 and if that's the only solution it would seem a bit ridiculous.

(I'm asking you because I don't think the "Technical Support" people review this forum very often.)

marooncadets

Post by marooncadets » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:54 pm

Yes,

I am using windows. I do know that they just did an update on the lesson wizard this week. It solves the MIDI PPQ problem. The iPAS student update was supposed to go out for this issue this week.

Saving a MIDI file should be the same in Sibelius as well as Finale. Check the iPAS instructions at www.pyware.com and see if you are leaving out a step.

My assistant uses Sibelius and I use Finale, so I'll get him to write a file and see if we can get it to work on mine. That doesn't solve the OS issue but might help on the Midi issue.

If I were you, I'd e-mail tech support and explain your problem. I have found them to be very helpful and usually solve my problem quickly or at least tell me how to fix it myself.

My e-mail address is on my band website www.marooncadets.com

Keep me in touch with what happens.

Jim
Jim Jolley- Assistant Director of Bands - Center Hill High School - www.chbands.com